Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic AWS.org / Forum News & Help / What Happened to the OFF TOPIC ?
1 2 Previous Next  
Parent - - By Shane Feder (****) Date 07-28-2009 00:26
I am extremely disappointed the OTBAG has been removed and I haven't even been near it for at least 4 months.
I was one of staunchest supporters of setting it up when I got sick and tired of hearing the nastiness and vitriol surrounding the US elections on the general welding forum.
So when it was set up I did just what js55 suggested, I didn't like what was on TV so I never switched to that channel.
Now it is gone are we going to end up with the crap creeping back into the welding posts again ?

The second part of my rant is directed at the AWS.
Why are the majority penalised by the actions of the minority?
It is your house and your rules, why then do you not penalise the transgressors ?
A warning, a temporary suspension and then a permanent banning from the forum.
A friend of mine was permanently banned from the UK Welder forum for naming a welder who was convicted of molesting his own children. (He should have got a medal, not been banned)
I have been permanently banned from the Eng-tips forum for continually disagreeing with a senior member on technical issues.
If these other forums can ban people why is the AWS toothless ?
When we had all the problems with 3.1 (who is now a reasonably well behaved 3.2) long time members were threatening to quit unless something was done about it but nothing was done.

Please leave the OTBAG as it is and simply penalise the people who are ruining it for everyone else,
Regards,
Shane
Parent - - By ross (***) Date 07-28-2009 01:00
Shane,

Sign up for the reopened OTBAG under the first topic in this section. We're making it visible and usable by request only, for the use of our regular clientele.

Ross
AWS Marketing
Parent - By rfieldbuilds (**) Date 07-28-2009 01:24
Ross, My hat is off to you!!! Thank you for the venue for those of us who so wish to be able to share each others thoughts, views and outlooks with one another. The OTBAG really shows the human side of those of us making a life of what is is AWS thrives to support.
Again, My sincere thanks,
Randy Field
Special inspector
Kleinfelder
Santa Rosa, CA
rfield@kleinfelder.com
Parent - - By 3.2 Inspector (***) Date 07-28-2009 06:29 Edited 07-28-2009 06:40
3.1 was banned in the end. He also got banned the very first day on Eng-tips forum :)

Parent - - By CWI555 (*****) Date 07-28-2009 09:56
hmm.. can't imagine why...
Parent - - By 3.2 Inspector (***) Date 07-28-2009 11:05
I know you can't (you will not be able to find the answer in a book, common sense is needed)

Parent - - By CWI555 (*****) Date 07-28-2009 12:23
common sense tells me it was your attitude.
Parent - By 3.2 Inspector (***) Date 07-28-2009 12:39
I was right, you don't know why I was banned.

Parent - By Metarinka (****) Date 08-08-2009 00:57
i agree exactly with your sentiments. The negativity and heavy politics of the off topic sessions were getting out of hand and tiresome.

if people have a typical political bent  there's plenty of forums and blogs on every part of the political spectrum that cater to your whims.
Up Topic AWS.org / Forum News & Help / What Happened to the OFF TOPIC ?
1 2 Previous Next