Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Stupid water cooled torch...
- - By devo (***) Date 07-27-2009 23:52
I was 95% done with a recent project, and my tig torch hoses started dripping from the machine connection and the torch connection.  Small pinhole leaks about 3" from the connection, supply and return lines leaking.  Only running 180 amps on a PTW-20 torch (250 amp rating), hoses only two years old.  How long are these things supposed to last?  Thank goodness I had a little 7018 left or I would be up s*** creek. 
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 07-28-2009 06:03
They last until they leak. I have some really old ones on a Linde #18 that still work, but might not have seen as much service as Yours. Are Your hoses rubber or thermoplastic? The one I mentioned did leak at the torch end connection, just needed to be tightened up, but it made a mess first.
Parent - - By scrappywelds (***) Date 07-28-2009 23:41
let me say this, depends on the amperage your running for extended periods. I would buy only the rubber myself.
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 07-29-2009 03:24
Scrappy is right.

Not all water cooled torches are the same, even if they have the same amperage rating...  The rubber hoses are better than the plastic and the braid covered ones are even better..  a hose cover also makes them last longer.

Like most tools. the more expensive ones usually last longer.

The factory guy is full of it..  High Frequency does not eat hoses unless there is another worse problem in the system.
Parent - By ibeweldingsum (***) Date 07-29-2009 03:06
I had a factory rep tell me it sometimes has something to do with the frequency your machine runs at. Didn't quite understand, but he sounded like he knew what he was talking about. Do you do any aluminum?
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Stupid water cooled torch...