Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / A few pictures from Class
- - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 07-28-2009 19:51
Just a couple of welds some of my students made. These are both at less than 100 hours of training. Don't know if thats good or not. Hope t o refine it much more. I have 140+ hours left with them.

This was all done using 3/16" x 1 1/2" flat bars for practice. Had to get the other materials around town.

http://weldingdata.com/WeldingClass.htm
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 07-29-2009 07:06
Hello Gerald, I think that you have done a fine job of getting after the task at hand, especially considering the apparently somewhat limited resources that you have been given to work with. Knowing about some of that, I also know that you have likely put much more into your "job" than you've been compensated for. Similarly, the rewards of those efforts won't likely be applauded by your higher-ups to a large degree, but you will know by the smiles on the faces of your students and hearing of their accomplishments for years to come just how important your efforts on their behalf have been. Looks to me like you've got a first-rate approach there. Best regards and keep on going, Allan
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 07-29-2009 15:43
Thanks for the comments Allan.

Its been so long since I have been to school and I have not really seen what others teach, how long it takes, and what success they have, I sometime wonder if I'm "Doing it right'.

I do not limit the time on any task. If a student doesn't "get it" we continue practicing. I was told to teach how I liked and that this was an "Introductory" class. So I can tailor what I do t o the students. I am just curious how others handle people moving at a different rate. If someone is unable to produce a visually acceptable weld in a certain position or joint, do y ou move on ?

Here is a list of what my current class has been working on. One of the students was actaully due to graduate but is still having trouble with stick welding.

Related question, does anyone screen possible students for good vision before processing an application ?

Thanks again for the comments .

Gerald
Attachment: classhours.jpg (0B)
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 07-29-2009 16:34
Hello Gerald, just a few brief comments, short on time right now. Your "skills" chart isn't that different from the way that we do things in our program. We do use a progress chart system, however, we don't even list proposed hours for completion. The students are signed off on the various skills based on our evaluation of their meeting or exceeding what we deem to be "industry standards". If they complete the listed chart requirements we either add additional more advanced skills or else we start them onto the next steps in the program progression. We also have 10 credits that can be used at any point for "independent study", this is 160 hours that could either be used to catch a student up on parts that they were unable to complete in the regular class time allowed for a specific welding section or else it allows them to do some specialized welding for possible job preparation in specific skill areas. Will be getting back to you. Like the spreadsheet by the way. Best regards, Allan
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 07-29-2009 23:23
The chart is actually just the results of a query from a database I keep my student information in. The results shown are for my current students howver I can also have it include all past students or a subset of the past students.

I use it to see if I may be having a hard time getting a pint across or maybe have not been paying attention to how much time a student has spent on something .  I start many of my classes out just telling them to go run a vertical tee joint , one try, no practice, and then see if it meets the visual acceptance criteria of D1.1. Puts a little pressure on them.

I may have my goals too low or high but I hope for each student to have the ability to setup and weld a single or multipass fillet weld in the Vertical and overhead position using SMAW, FCAW, and GMAW. GTAW I hope they can setup the equipment and run a bead. That is for 240 hours of shop time. I teach at night so only have students 4 nights a week for 4 hours each night.

Some students that are interested in the construction trades get more emphasis on stick welding, those for MFG will move on to FCAW/GMAW. The GTAW in my opinion takes a different skillset because of two independent hands so I save it for last.

We don't have any cutting torch, gouger, saw etc. I bought a metal cutting circular saw for cutting bends and macros. We only have 4" grinders. You should see em scatter when I bring in the 9" B&D wildcat. Thats Grindin !
Parent - By lonewolf658 (*) Date 07-30-2009 22:24
Gerald ,i'm not sure on how you have to work on gettign equipment  but  something you might consider is attending swap mets and auctions  sometimes you can get some decent stuff  without  it costing a arm and a leg .
Parent - - By jingle33 Date 08-17-2009 09:08
good! very good.
Parent - By seymon Date 08-26-2009 08:23 Edited 08-26-2009 13:21
Thank you for the information. I am glad to see this topic.

deleted- moderator
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / A few pictures from Class