Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Processes / AWS Bolting Inspector Exams
1 2 Previous Next  
- - By welderbrent (*****) Date 07-29-2009 15:30
Okay guys,  has anyone heard or seen anything yet?  I thought I saw something about it while I was on a job down in Phoenix but when I got home and checked it was gone.

Are we going to have a Bolting Certification through the AWS or not?  I would rather take it through them even if it took a while to get industry wide recognition.  I don't think it will take too long because of the existing reputation of AWS, its' Inspectors and the Program that certifies them.  We are starting with a leg up in the system.

Have A Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By ross (***) Date 07-29-2009 17:45
Brent,

This bolting exam is currently being offered. You can take it anyplace where the CWI exam is offered, which is all over the country all the time. It's an endorsement to your CWI cert. Call 800-443-9353 ext 273 for questions.

I guess we haven't done enough yet to make this widely known.

Ross
AWS Marketing
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 07-29-2009 18:00
This is good to know.
All I ever saw regarding this was that there was an exam, is there a list of study material so you can get prepared for the exam?
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 07-29-2009 18:05
Good question John,

I was going to call and ask but if Ross knows that will help us speed up the process of ordering some materials and get the info out to more people.

Brent
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 07-29-2009 18:03
Ross,

I looked all through the certifications section, education, home page,  I didn't see info on it anywhere.  Thank you for the info but where is it listed so I can direct others?

I know I have some questions so thanks for the phone number.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By rfieldbuilds (**) Date 08-01-2009 17:54
please post what you hear from the 800 # so we can all be in the know.
THX
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 08-02-2009 02:59
Not a problem other than it may take a couple days.  I am headed out of town with my wife for our 32nd anniversary.  I will call but if anyone else wants to I see no reason more than one person can't call them.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By swsweld (****) Date 08-02-2009 16:26
Brent, congrats on the 32nd anniversary. Have a great time with the wife.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 09-18-2009 14:46 Edited 09-18-2009 14:49
Sorry for the huge delay on this topic guys.  Thanks SWS for the congrats.

After our anniversary trip to Lake Tahoe, some things came up and we had to go half way across the country to take care of some family business.  As we were leaving we got a phone call asking if I could do some inspections in the same state, about 3 hrs from final destination, as we were headed to.  I said "SURE!!"  Made some money in route.  Wrote off the whole trip for business.  But between work and family following the anniversary, it has been one very hectic month.  Then, the minute we get back to AZ, my sons all leave for a couple weeks leaving me all alone to carry on shop and inspections and pick up on jobs they hadn't finished while I was gone.  Not to mention trying to collect some money from completed jobs to pay all these bills.

And most important, the morning after our return our daughter delivered another son, grandson #4.  This is the daughter who lost one last October to an auto accident.  Some may remember some postings I made during that time.  As I said 'What a Month!!'

Had computer, actually internet access, problems all along the way combined with many time constraints.  Thus, my very extended absense from everything not extremely neccessary.  (Sorry guys, you don't rate as high on my 'Must Keep Satisfied' scale as my wife, family, and business.)

So, while gone we took many opportunities to discuss the direction our work is taking.  Centering around which certifications to get on with.  Two that seem to be expedient for our local job market, the betterment of my credentials, and the advancement of the company I co-contract with on inspections, seem to be 'Fireproofing' and 'Bolting'.  Followed by MT, PT, then UT as the guy I work with is a level III in UT & MT those two will be more convenient though not as necessary as the fireproofing & bolting.

Thus, I will begin trying to get more answers to some of these questions ASAP.  If anyone else found out anything while I have been out of touch please let me, and all the rest here, know as it may save some time and energy.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 09-21-2009 15:30

>(Sorry guys, you don't rate as high on my 'Must Keep Satisfied' scale as my wife, family, and business.)

Well Pfft!...now I'm offended...LOL

Made me tired just reading about the past month of activities...cool deal on getting an inspection job near your destination.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 09-21-2009 15:44
I know.  It's a dirty job, but somebody has to keep the humility level in proper adjustment around here.  LOL!!

So,  somebody hit me with a humble stick before I get out of hand!!

Glad to be back.  I couldn't even check on things on this forum very often and I found out how much a really enjoy my time on here even when we have some disagreements going.  Usually everybody comes around pretty good and at least agrees to disagree.  Not 'ALWAYS', but 'USUALLY'.  I really learn alot from the various posters here and I enjoy learning.  Even at 53.

Well, back to work.  Catch you around.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By eekpod (****) Date 10-16-2009 13:44
I am considering taking the ICC bolting exam. Will keep you posted.    Chris
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 11-05-2009 15:22
Boy has this taken some time to get info put together.  Some of you may already have your own questions answered, but, I thought I would update this anyway for those who may find it worthwhile.

After giving AWS some time, and I believe the posted info has been changed because I don't remember seeing it in this particular presentation format before, and sending a couple of e-mails to the certification contact person, and getting material from AISC, and checking info from ICC, talking to others especially some who already have the certs,  I think I can state some 'DEFINITES' in regards to the AWS Bolting Certification.

1)  It is an 'Endorsement' to your CWI for those who are already CWI/SCWI's;
2) Others can take it and get a certificate of completion, does not qualify you to inspect bolting;
3) The info is on the AWS web site under 'Certifications', then on the CWI Endoresements;  You will have to do a little digging through other places as well to put together 'all' the info, that's partly why I thought I might try to save anyone interested some time;
4) There are study materials which are purchased through AISC, they are listed on the AWS site: AISC Steel Construction Manual 13th ed. which includes RCSC of June, 2004;  Also need 3rd ed LRFD which may be in Steel Construction Manual as well but not listed as such that I see, waiting for an answer from AISC;
5) You can take the test anywhere AWS is giving the CWI exam, they will send you a packet confirming time and place, there is a place to mark that as your non-code endorsement exam choice on the application for examination on the site;
6) Only one day, no seminar prep for 'Bolting'; ( if there is a CWI seminar/exam going close to you it can really simplify things expense wise);
7) Cost for an endorsement exam is $275.00;
8) No eye exam is required for this exam;
9) Does not expire nor have to pay to renew, keeps on going as long as your CWI is valid;

One question, of Chris in particular, but anyone,  Chris, you went to a 2 day seminar on bolting & print reading?  ICC?  I believe that is what I saw.  Was it worthwhile, where was it, who did it, how much was it?  Could be worth looking into since AWS does not offer a seminar on bolting.

I think that is about everything I have so far.  Sorry it has taken so long to put this info together.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 11-05-2009 15:37
Thanks for all of the legwork Brent...much appreciated.
Parent - - By eekpod (****) Date 11-05-2009 20:19
Yeah Brent, nice work putting all that together, I'm sure that took a bit of effort, thanks.

I did take a 1 day seminar on "Structural Steel and Bolting Inspection" from Steelstructures.com.  They also offer an additional 3 hr seminar on plan reading that I originally did not plan on taking, but discovered during the bolt seminar that some of my questions were covered in the plan reading so I did stay for it.

The steel structures is the same company/ guy who makes the nice pocket guides for weld inspection and bolt inspection.  We have been using them for years and they are extremely helpful and only like $15 each, well worth the price, I buy them by the dozen for our shop inspectors and project managers and such so they can see where this stuff I say comes from.

A lot of the bolting info. was redundant for me only becasue I'm a QC/QA and have been doing multiple strucural projects so I see a lot of different scanerois but it was still worth it to confirm what I thought, and also learn where some of the code stuff comes from.

The Plan reading covered more than I expected.  I'm more of a shop person so I have a hard time with erection drawings, and he covers both.  The test covers symbols and he reviews them during the program.

Both programs were a little rushed and I thought could have been longer to allow a little more time to ask questions and discuss issues, but it moved right along.

I found the schedule and if you hurry they have another class in Las Vagas Nov 12, 13, go to their website and look into it.

I have not taken the test yet, once I got back, I have been to busy to study but I'll take it soon hopefully, there is a testing center 10 minutes away from me.

Good Luck,  Chris
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 11-06-2009 22:15
Thanks for the response and input Chris.

Also, my point 4 above, still waiting for some clarification, that I don't think I will get this week, from AWS and AISC.

But, LRFD is included in the 'Specification for Structural Steel Buildings' which is in the AISC Steel Construction Manual.  So is The RCSC on bolting specs that are needed for reference and exam.  The LRFD that is in there at this point is a newer edition than what they call out on the AWS site for refs and has been modified and merged with ASD.  The Manual preface says it is the current replacement for 3rd Edition of Load and Resistance Factor Design. 

I am trying to find out why AWS says to get 3rd ed LRFD when the 13th ed of Steel Construction Manual was already out (2005) and has replaced the older 3rd ed of LRFD. 

With your added info on the available seminar,  I think we have about covered everything one would need to know to prep and take the Bolting exam rather you want AWS or ICC.  I intend to go for the AWS, especially since they will be in Phoenix in Mar of 2010.  Drive down on Sat morn, take the exam, home by Sat evening.  Little expense or time to see if I have put it together.  From there, if I think it worthwhile, I will go to the seminar to round out (hopefully) more knowledge.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By eekpod (****) Date 11-07-2009 03:49
I'm at home and I don't have any manuals here, but the 13th edition is the big thick black book from AISC.  If your not a memeber it's like $300 and it has the RCSC in it and I think the LRFD.  Now the RCSC is the A325/A490 bolting spec.  When you look at the bottom of A325/A490 it says published by Research Counsil on Strucural Connections?  anyway.  You can search for the documents indivually.
Is your company a memeber of AISC? If so most of it can be dowloaded and printed for free.

Also for the plan reading section make sure you know what a moment weld symbol looks like, it's a solid triananlge.  There is another symbol you need to know and I had never heard of it, remind me next week when I'm back in the office and I'll look it up.
Chris
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 11-07-2009 17:39
Yes, I am a member of AISC.  Already have the Manual with the supplements.  Have downloaded lots of their free docs.  The cost of the others are about 50% off as a member.  Inspectors can become affiliate members, I believe, for $135/yr under Building Officials or some such thing.  I'll have to look it up again.  Fab shops are pretty spendy.

I'd appreciate that symbol you mentioned.  Helps to have all of them.  Some are rather difficult to find in AWS refs. 

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 11-13-2009 19:53
Okay, last bit of info that put the reference materials together in my mind, and, I hope will fill in all the gaps for anyone else reading through here:

I got a response from Joe Kane and some others at AWS and from someone at AISC.  The way some of the AISC numbers on editions (not really in order as you would expect), combined with the newest combination of the Steel Construction Manual with the RCSC Manual, The Code of Standard Practice , and The Specification for Structural Steel Buildings all in one binding, it now appears that all you need for study is contained in the AISC Steel Construction Manual, 13th edition.  The reference to the 3rd ed of LRFD on AWS site would be material that is included in a new format throughout the Steel Construction Manual. 

Chris, after your class on bolting, are there any other materials you, or anyone else, can think of that would aid myself and others prepping for either the AWS Bolting Endorsement or the ICC Bolting Exam?  Would sure appreciate any assistance.  Also, thanks Chris for the info on the people doing the seminar on bolting and print reading.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By eekpod (****) Date 11-16-2009 11:47
Brent, OK I finally remembered to look this up.

Make sure you are familier with the symbol for a "Drag Beam" which is a solid circle with a line coming out if it.  Also know your moment weld symbol as well.

Other notes I have from the "Plan Reading Class", know which direction is the strong access and weak access of a beam, know your shape abbreviations (W,S,HP,C,ect.), be familier w/ bar joists and bridging, panel point, how to read the bar joist standard designation, S1 drawing spec., know how to read and intreprep the general notes, how the number of studs is called out, DO=Ditto, how to read column schedules, that's the main body of my notes.
Good Luck,  Chris
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 11-16-2009 19:55
Thanks for the tips Chris.  Makes for the basis of a good review starting point.  Many of those are things I haven't seen in years.  The type of work I have mainly been around has not been dependant upon their usage.  Looks like I could use a good print review.  Will have to check out the classes you posted the web site for.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By Joseph P. Kane (****) Date 11-17-2009 02:05 Edited 11-17-2009 02:08
Brent

I said that you could use the Thirteenth Edition Steel Construction Manual, because it has the appropriate RCSC document in it.  However, there are also questions in the test bank from the ASTM Volume 01.08 Fastener Standards compilation.  Depending on what version of the exam you took, I think you could probably pass the test with just the SCM, but I have a full series of questions made up from the ASTM Standards. 

Joe Kane
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 11-17-2009 02:47
Thank you Sir.  I had not seen nor heard that anywhere yet.  I'm sure that will be a big help to me and others here.  But, it would seem wise for anyone interested in being a bolting inspector to have the appropriate ASTM's just as there are several that are needed for reference for certain aspects of the D1.1 code. 

I am once again grateful for your time and information.  Have we missed anything else significant for preparation.  Oh, and how can I get a copy of these questions? Or are they not practice questions but part of the test?  I know you can't share them if they are actual test questions. 

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By Joseph P. Kane (****) Date 11-17-2009 15:49
Brent

Get Real

Do you think I would give you copies of the Exam Questions?!?!?!?!?  We haven't given any thought to releasing practice questions.   It took us a lot of volunteer time to make up the questions and a lot of volunteer time to validate them in Committee.

All you will get is the "Body of Knowledge".  If you still want the Endorsement, learn the whole subject.   We are not interested in making dummed down tests so that anyone off the street can pass that exam and say "...Duh - Last week I couldn't even speeel bolting Inspeecter, - Now I are one!"

By the way, the Structural Bolting Inspector Endorsement - Building Structures, only gives you 20% of the credits toward 9 Year CWI Re-certification.  Many of the other Endorsements count as 100% of the required credits toward re-certification.  Reason for this????  StructuralBolting is not listed as a skill in the B5.1 Document.

Joe Kane
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 11-17-2009 16:57
C'mon Joe lower the fur down your neck...he was just asking whether any of the material would be available for study in the form of sample questions. Nobody is asking you to dumb down the exam.

To be honest he has done more in this thread to further the education of bolting inspectors(speaking of the exam) and the required study material than the AWS has with this program. It was a relatively unknown subject as far as what was covered on the exam and no one even knew where to go to find the required information to study before sitting in on this exam. Compiling much of this information in one place is a good thing.

I applaud his efforts, not all of us have the time it takes to weasle this information out of the ones who know. Learning the whole subject is kinda tough if you don't have any idea what is involved. Alot of us QC folks have been around long enough to have some idea, but not all of us. I feel like I know the material "fairly" well from just having to deal with it at work, but had no earthly idea what the exam would possibly cover until this thread was generated and questions were being asked and answered, so ease up on Brent will ya. Sorry but your post just rubbed the wrong way, Being a volunteer myself, I do appreciate all of the volunteers and their time, so don't go there.
Parent - By Joseph P. Kane (****) Date 11-17-2009 22:01
Brent,
John,
All the other readers,

Sorry I blew up at that question.  In the last two years, I have seen people give test questions and intimate test advice to prospective CWI candidates.  I object to most of it.  I realize now that you were looking for something along the lines of the Q&A book that AWS puts out for the CWI Exam.  (I also happen to be against this practice, because the  Questions in that book are so close to the real questions, that a person could study that book and become a CWI without even being able to "...Speeel Inspeeecter". 

It probably would be helpful if you knew that the Bolting Endorsement, the Drawings Reading Endorsement are really prerequisites for the AWS Special Inspector/ Structural Inspector Exam, that I hope will be out before next summer.  To even take that exam, you have to be a CWI, Take and pass the D 1.1 Examination, the Bolting Examination and the Drawings Reading Examination.

With that Exam, I hope to publish a complete Body of Knowledge booklet, which will be about 40 pages long.

One of the problems with AWS Multiple Choice test Questions, is that we have to make questions with the 5 answer format.  Well, that is the AWS Standard for questions, but is does not really lend itself to test an inspector's knowledge of Structural Inspection.  For Instance, If I want to ask "If I loose a nut while installing a TC bolt assembly, is it permissible to use a nut from different source?

The answer I want from you, the field inspector should be in a yes / no, form. Answer: No, you are not allowed to do that. (But if you want to become a manufacturer and perform all the tests found in the ASTM Standard, you could possibly do it, but the question stem would not give you that option in the wording of the question.)

I wanted to structure the entire program to view the questions the way you would get them as an inspector in the shop or the field.  In the field, you would hear the ironworker/connector drop a nut, and some ground man would run over to some bucket of nuts (used for regular bolts), and toss one up.  As the inspector, you should hear and see this, and instantly know that it is not permissible.  Therefore, a yes/no answer format would be best.  When I try to ask that question,  then have one correct answer and four other wrong answers for the "multiple guess test question format", it becomes impossible to use this vital question.

Joe Kane

Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 11-18-2009 03:42
<<< MOVE OVER. 

Joe,  for my part, apology accepted.  I didn't take it as harsh as what it apparently was, though it did seem to have a 'sarcastic, constructive, informative, tone'.  (Am I good at 'hearing' tone in thread communications or what, okay, probably not). 

My last sentence did state, 'I know you can't give me the actual test questions' (or close to that).  Sorry you didn't understand what I meant.  I do understand your concerns about sample questions.  I find them a good study method, but seldom look at the multiple guess answers.  If I can't answer it in sentence form without the aid of the answers I need more study on the questions subject matter.  I do wish the AWS offered a seminar on Bolting though.  Seems like the more info a person can have on any subject, the better he can do his job rather he gets certified as an inspector or not.  I have been through most of the resource material for CWI with my son (who is my shop foreman).  We use the WIT book to help certain training opportunities with employees.  I have encouraged every shop owner in my area to send at least one person to the 'seminar' for CWI rather they take the test or not.  They need the info and resources handed out at the seminar.  Then they have no excuse for not knowing most of the things required of them when an inspector comes through the door.

I do want to see the exams difficult enough that not just anyone can pass.   I appreciate the commitment of all those who give of so much of their time to put all these exams and info together. 

I am one who studies all the info I possibly can to prepare for a test.  I did with the CWI, and that is my purpose here.  Trying to find out all that will in any way contribute to my ability to pass because I have all the knowledge I can possibly retain and the resources to find what I can't remember.  Add that to as much practical experience as possible and I have only myself to blame if I can't pass.  (How many people do you know who have read completely through the 13th ed twice in less than a year, and more through everything 'bolting' I could find in it?)  I want to know where to find the info I need on the test.

BTW,  AISC also has 'Steel Design Guide 17: High Strength Bolting' which seems to have some good resource material in it. 

Thank you for the other info on upcoming exams and Bodies of Knowledge as well as all your help with my questions so I could gather info on the Bolting exam.  A couple more questions:  Is it okay to have tabs in the AISC Manual as it is D1.1?  What resources besides the 13th ed can we take into the test?

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By eekpod (****) Date 11-18-2009 11:32 Edited 11-18-2009 11:39
I think I can answer that one and the answer in no for the "ICC Bolting Inspection test.  This is what the instructor said at the seminar last month, and I remember saying to myself, there's no way I'm removing all these tabs from my book, I'd rather buy a new one.
I have so many tabs it looks like a multi-colored porcupine :)

I was able to scan the back page from the SSTC flyer I have that talks about getting ready to take the ICC special inspector test.  Also be aware that SSTC does offer a 300 question workbook for $40 to prepare to take the test.  Go to steelstructures,com for more info.

Chris
Attachment: ICCINFO.pdf (61k)
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 11-18-2009 14:37 Edited 11-18-2009 14:42
Thanks Chris,  Yeah,  I have lots of tabs in mine as well; Welding, bolting, QC & inspections, materials cleanup & prep, etc.   I use this book all the time and it sure is easier with tabs at key locations.  Thanks for the info on the workbook. 

John or Joe, does one of you know if the same is true of tabs for the AWS Bolting exam?  I am hoping they are handling it as they do the D1.1.  But, I will deal with whatever the rules are here.  This is another one of those issues people need to know BEFORE they get to the exam.  Especially since we have to buy the book ahead of time from another organization, study for the test, show up on test day and take the exam.  If someone comes in with thier book already tabbed, they will have to sit down and remove all the tabs before taking the exam.  NOT COOL!!  And as Chris and I have said, we use this book on the job everyday, it is already tabbed for our convenience.  Hope someone has an AWS answer.  We know where ICC stands.  I thought I had asked that of Peter and Terry in the Certifications Dept, but can't find anything, must have forgotten that as I was typing.

Joe,  I hope my post last night did not come off wrong.  I just wanted you to know that I take these tests, certifications, inspections very seriously.  And after getting to where I am now, I also take the position that one needs to know a lot more about his chosen profession than most of us do.  I have always been an information sponge, but apparently needed different sources so I could learn more about the actual codes and their application to my work.  Seminars seem the logical way to do that, not just exams.  Give the people on the job the materials and training they need, and work quality will improve making it easier on the inspectors trying to insure that quality.  Your help and sharing of knowledge has always been important to me. 

Thanks to all who have answered my continual series of questions to put this together.  And I put it in this public forum for the benefit of others.  I could have just gotten the answers to my questions from Peter, Terry, Joe, AISC, etc. and kept it all to myself.  But there have been so many questions in several areas of this forum about bolting and the new Bolting Exam that I thought it a good idea to try to put all the information together in one place.  Have you actually tried to find even part of this info on the AWS web site?  A lot of it is there, but it is difficult to find.  Some of it is not there.  How would anyone know about the ASTM questions if you, Joe, had not just told us about it in the last couple of posts?  I know we need to study and know our job material, but, I have AISC, IBC, every reference book listed for the CWI, code books, other reference books, and I ask alot of questions.  BUT, if there are going to be questions from a particular set of references, I think we should know it. 

BTW, Chris, try this:  http://www.steelstructures.com    For some reason, I'm no computer wiz, the format used here needs the other info ahead of the address to get it to show blue and link.

Just my two tin pennies worth.  Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 12-14-2009 14:12
OKAY!!! 

Another update on the AWS Bolting Exam requirements.

According to the Managing Director of Certification Technical Operations, when I posed the question: "Is it permissible to use a tabbed AISC Manual when taking the Bolting Endorsement Exam through AWS?"  

The response was: "Brent, Tabbing is permitted in our open-book exams."

So, to Chris and all others keeping up with this for all available info on the Bolting Endorsement through AWS,  you don't need to worry about the tabs in your manual if taking the exam through AWS, though, if Chris was informed correctly at a seminar for the ICC exams you will need an untabbed Manual for the ICC Bolting, Print Reading, and/or probably any test taken through them.

For myself, I think the guys have answered about every question a person could have about this exam, preparation for the exam, and registering for the exam.

Thank you AWS personnel, Joe Kane, Chris, John, and others who have helped this along.  I hope many people are able to benefit from the information accumulated here.

Have a Very Merry Christmas, a Happy New Year, Get to Work, and Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 02-11-2010 14:51 Edited 03-29-2010 03:51
Didn't want to start another thread,

Got my confirmation notice.  I am headed to Phoenix at the end of March to take the Bolting Endorsement.

I'll let you know what I think, not that my two sense worth matters much, and rather or not I pass.

Thanks again to all for helping put all this info together even if it was with more questions.  There is a lot of info here now that I hope helps others interested in taking this endorsement exam.

Also,  upon conferring with my local City Building Officials, who are currently going through all my paperwork to include me as a Special Inspector for welding, I was informed that they would most definitely consider the AWS endorsement as valid qualification to be listed as a Bolting Special Inspector as well.  They recognize the work and quality of the AWS programs and trust their tests to mean quality inspections. 

It still may be a while before contract documents will include AWS endoresements as equal to ICC in their general notes on Special Inspections, but it is a beginning.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 03-29-2010 04:17
Hope some still check when new posts show up here to follow up.

Just got back from the exam in Phoenix.  Pretty comfortable with my performance.  Had plenty of time to study and had plenty of resources thanks to posters here in this thread.  Had a reasonable amount of experience to add to the book knowledge. 

Overall I felt it was handled very well.  Personally I would have thought the people monitoring the exam should have had a bit more knowledge and understanding about how to handle the code book exams. 

Also,  I never did get EXACT information about what documents could be used IN the exam.  I only used the 13th ed AISC with RCSC Bolting and Specification for Structural Steel Buildings.  Was able to answer all the questions on MY exam from those documents.

But Joe Kane had mentioned that there 'could' be questions in the bank of questions for the exam that covered info from the ASTM's on bolting items.  AND, several of the other exams, SCWI, CWEng, CWS (supervisor), etc are allowed to take any reference material they think can assist them on the exam.

I went back through the AWS website 'Certification' section, the info sent with my confirmation, info on this thread, and I could not find anything about what I was able or not able to take into the exam and use as reference material.

I really think this is important information.  If I don't get an answer on this question on the forum I will start back with phone calls and e-mails to the people who contributed previous information.  I may have taken, and hopefully passed, the exam but this should be readily available information for others.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 03-31-2010 16:38
WELL!!  AWS sure impressed me with this one.

Took the Bolting Endorsement Exam on Saturday, 3/27/10, and today- Wed, 3/31/10, I got an e-mail stating I had passed. 

Scores will come later by snail mail with the endorsements card but at least I know the results. 

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 03-31-2010 17:02
Congratulations Brent!!!!

jrw159 :-)
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 03-31-2010 17:48
Good job Brent!
Parent - By thcqci (***) Date 03-31-2010 21:23
Congratulations!!!  I thought bolting exam was considerably easier than the drawing reading.  Time is short when reviewing that many unfamilair drawings in 2 hours.  Nothing there you would not do on a regular day on the job, but 2 hours to do it is very tight.  Again, good job!!!
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 02-19-2015 12:22
reviving an old thread.....looking at taking this bolting endorsement but missed the cut-off at the local exam site for this spring(March), so I need to investigate another close by for the fall to get in. Seems that I'm involved more and more with bolting these days.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 02-19-2015 15:05
John,

AZ is close by (LOL).  We have a test coming in July that you can take the Bolting Exam at.

Have you considered the ICC Structural Steel and Bolting Exam?  Make sure you get the correct one: S1 = Structural Steel and Bolting Special Inspector; S2 = Structural Welding Special Inspector.  Still seems to be more recognized than the AWS test though I feel the AWS test was more of a challenge.  A major consideration is the inclusion in the ICC of Blueprint reading along with the open book bolting exam.

Most all you need is in AISC/RCSC though on the ICC there will be a couple of questions that are best answered from the IBC-2012 chapter 17 Special Inspections. 

Go to iccsafe.org for more information.

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 02-19-2015 18:44
Thanks Brent :cool:
Parent - - By ctacker (****) Date 02-20-2015 05:03
Once you get the ICC S1, Structural steel and bolting, with your CWI, you can grandfather in to the ICC S2, structural welding, for $50.00 (if I remember right).
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 02-20-2015 15:59
Only thing I am not sure about is the price.  I'd have to look it up.  But as to the rest you are correct.  Once you have your paperwork in had from passing the S1 and send your CWI documentation with it to ICC with a 'transition' form available on their website if you look carefully and check for some amount then they will send you the S2 cert.  It isn't like the ASNT VT II which states it is by reciprocity, it only says you are qualified as both an S1 and S2 Structural Steel Welding and Bolting Special Inspector.

Attachment: BBinsptid2015.jpg (376k)
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 02-20-2015 16:06
$50 is still current.  Easiest way to find it on the ICC site: go to iccsafe.org  then go to the top right and type 'transition' in the search box.  It will take you to documents for transition.  Click on the top one (at least when I did it) and you will see the form, what to include, and how much.

Brent
Parent - - By eekpod (****) Date 02-24-2015 11:11
about 5 years ago I made a big push to get my ICC certification for the bolting, then never signed up to take the class, wish I had.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 02-24-2015 22:30
It should only take about 6 hours of your time, including drive time, and a few dollars Chris. 

It is never too late.  Go for it.

Brent
Parent - - By eekpod (****) Date 02-26-2015 11:20
The problem I have now is I switched industries so I don't work with structural stuff anymore.  So it would not benefit me at this point, maybe later on but I am in the power plant industry now so we have nothing to do with bolts.  We still reference D1.1 and the sheet metal codes but not bolting.
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 02-26-2015 14:40
I understand, BUT, it does not hurt to prepare now for future possibilities. 

Brent
Parent - - By vlad (*) Date 06-06-2017 18:27
Dear Brent,
I have seen your very useful posts.
May I ask you, can I prepare for S1 (Steel and Bolting) test with AISC 13th Edition (14th Edition required).
Thank you in advance,
Vlad
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 06-07-2017 00:13
Vlad,

WELDCOME TO THE AWS WELDING FORUM!!  The Greatest Welding Forum in the World, Bar None. 

As long as you plan to get the 14th edition to test with there are minimal changes to be concerned about.  Things like the definition of snug tight, and yet, that is going back to pretty much the same wording as original in the 15th edition.   You should be fine to START you studies with the older edition.

BUT, remember, the 15th is now out.  It will be required shortly.  You can already get the RCSC off of the AISC website I believe.  Also, AISC gives you access to their codes for free.  You only pay for hard copies.  Now, I had thought that only one edition previous was available and not the newest off the press.  But, someone just told me otherwise the other day and I haven't looked it up yet so can't say for sure. 

You can easily pass the exam using ONLY AISC Construction Manual with all its' associated parts; 360, RCSC, 303, etc.  But, there MAY be questions from ASTM assorted specs on bolts, IBC:2012 or 2015 maybe now, etc. 

But, to get used to where the info is, you can start prepping with the 13th edition.  Find all your info on anchor bolts and holes in base plates, grades and storage of bolts, tightening methods, etc.  Much to learn. 

Parent - - By vlad (*) Date 06-07-2017 12:26
Brent,
Thank you for quick respond!
I have IBC 2012 and Insp. Manual 2012 and I borrowed from my boss AISC 13th edition. Exam scheduled on July 11, 2017.
And I start to fight.
Thank you for previous formations you gave to people, thanks another guys who share their notes.
Will keep you inform.
Have a great day,
Vlad
Parent - - By vlad (*) Date 07-11-2017 12:14
I'll go to exam today.
We'll see..
Up Topic Welding Industry / Processes / AWS Bolting Inspector Exams
1 2 Previous Next