Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Processes / AWS Bolting Inspector Exams
1 2 Previous Next  
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 07-12-2017 00:00
Probably a little late as I am working swing shift, but, best wishes on the exam. 

Brent
Parent - - By vlad (*) Date 07-12-2017 12:18
Failed
Parent - - By vlad (*) Date 07-12-2017 12:33
Hi,
Question: Table 1-22 , footnote "c" refer to Figure 1-1. Where is it?
Had a few questions about painting of faying surfaces, I was confused.
And of course I did not enough time for plans.
English is a second language (Ukraine), spent more time to understand a question.
Angry!
Scheduled next attempt on July 22, 2017.
Thanks
Vlad
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 07-12-2017 18:01
Slip critical connections have specific details regarding paint within the faying surfaces. The slip coefficient of the paint must be considered. Some paint manufacturers make special paint with slip coefficients to meet these requirements.
Parent - By vlad (*) Date 07-12-2017 22:41
Thank you John,
I mixed up with Types - A,B,C...

Hey guys, I have one more question.
Do not remember pretty clear, but they asked me - when we use the impact wrench with the head bigger than the bolt's head?
And what size of wrench you need if the bolt is 1"? (1-1/4, 1-5/8 etc.).
Thank you in advance for any help.
Vlad
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 07-13-2017 01:24
Okay Vlad,

It isn't the end of the world.  Take a step back, breathe, sit down, relax, breathe, did I mention you need to breathe? 

Now, your first question: Going to AISC 360 Construction Manual 14th edition, look at the top corners.  It is broken into sections.  So are the Figures and Tables.  Table 1-22 is on page 1-119 towards the front to the book.  Section 1 deals with Dimensions and Properties and has the tables with W shape sizes and other shapes in it.  Table 1-22 is the ASTM A6 values for tolerances in flange tip, straightness as in sweep and camber, and other specs.  It is applied to the Figures on the next page, 1-120, picturing how to view sweep and camber etc. 

John dealt with your second question but consider page 16.2-18-21.  Look at 3.2.2 and all the Commentary (the grey boxes).  They are dealing with when paint at faying surfaces are acceptable, when special provisions apply, etc. 

You third question in your next post, bolt size compared to head/wrench size,  remember, you are dealing with structural bolts and they are not the same as standard machine bolts.  A 1" standard machine bolt will have a 1 1/2" head/wrench size.  According to the  chart of Table C-2.1 Bolt and Nut Dimensions on page 16.2-11 a 1" structural bolt, A325 or A490, will have a 1 5/8" head/wrench size. 

I will add one more comment, you should consider looking into a class by SSTC (Steel Structure Technology Center) by Robert Shaw.  It will cost a few dollars but especially dealing with the language issue it may be of real benefit to get you to understand what is going on much better than you currently do. 

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By vlad (*) Date 07-13-2017 12:12
Hello,
Brent, you blow my mind with a question about the bolt head. Of course I could go to table C-2.1 to see bolt head dimension. Idiot, I just misunderstood a question and got stuck.
Thank you for explanation for another two questions.
Yes of course I took Robert Shaw's seminar (Plan reading,,,) and learn it carefully (according to advice from previous days on these pages).
Dear Brent, the things you are doing for people on this forum just priceless.
This country stay strong because of people like you.
My love and respect from f..... New York.
Vlad.
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 07-13-2017 16:37
Hi Vlad,

Brent mentioned Robert Shaw....consider obtaining his latest Bolting Handbook. It is a condensed version of the RCSC and goes right to the meat of each bolting type and the inspections required. It also has charts and tables like Brent mentioned regarding bolt and nut wrench sizes. This book is small enough to keep in your back pocket while inspecting to use as a reference. I take it out and show contractors it's contents when they do not understand all of the bolting requirements that they should know (especially when some of these guys have been in the structural business for 40 plus years of their life).
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 07-14-2017 00:51
Besides the Plan Reading, there is an actual Bolting Seminar that he does.  It is very well put together for anyone who does bolting inspections. 

Brent
Parent - - By vlad (*) Date 07-14-2017 01:40
Thank you guys.
Vlad
Parent - - By vlad (*) Date 07-30-2017 19:51
Working night shift, rescheduled exam to end of August
Parent - - By vlad (*) Date 08-26-2017 18:08
I passed Bolting exam.
Thank you Brent and guys who posted comments.
I passed only because I found this forum!
Have a good life everybody.
Vlad.
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 08-26-2017 23:03
Congrats.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 08-27-2017 17:42
Congratulations!!!

I might want to make a note that it is only valid if the individual has a valid CWI or SCWI in their wallet.

This is something AWS staff seems to need reminding of.

Al
Parent - By vlad (*) Date 08-27-2017 23:20
Thank you Brent, Thank you Al!
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 08-28-2017 02:45
So true Al. 

At the same time, one can always prove they passed the test and I have not seen much need for the actual certification anyway.  Even IBC details certification for welding inspectors but not for bolting inspectors. 

Anyone who actually requires a certification for bolting, wants the IBC/ICC cert. 

Brent
Parent - By vlad (*) Date 08-29-2017 22:25
10-4
Vlad
Up Topic Welding Industry / Processes / AWS Bolting Inspector Exams
1 2 Previous Next