Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / UT Testing of corners on Tublar Connections
- - By ejohn90472 Date 07-30-2009 03:26
Has anyone encountered UT Testing of tublar connections specifically the corners of a base plate to HSS column connection. Did you use a standard transducer or a mini? Any feed back would be appreciated

ejohn
Parent - - By trapdoor (**) Date 07-30-2009 04:46 Edited 07-30-2009 04:54
If you are inspecting in accordance with AWS D1.1 a change in transducer size to a "mini'" would require a different procedure and acceptance criteria both of which need engineer acceptance (see 6.22.7.2). And with all the different sized radii that you would run into it could really turn into something expensive and probably unnecessary. What I do is test the flat sides and note on the report that the radii were not tested. I remember it being discussed at length here some time ago and in those threads there were a lot better reasons given for all the complications that arise to reliably test welds at HSS radii.

Good luck
Parent - - By ejohn90472 Date 08-02-2009 15:55
Trapdoor - Thank you for all the info
Parent - By dmilesdot (**) Date 08-05-2009 08:18
Trapdoor, I have done butt welds in tubular structures where I used a radiused mini to do the corners.  With engineering approval and an understanding with the fabricator that anything found to be in a corner was rejectable reguardless of length.  The fabricator came up with a way of welding these butt welds where he welded thru the corners instead of starting and stopping in the corners.  The flats of the shapes were welded vertical and the welders continued thru the corner and onto the flat.  It isnt easy maintaining rod position as you make the transition but with practice it can be done.  Pipe welders do it all the time.  I considered the ut exam to be a "best effort" and so noted it on my reports.
(CYA).  I hope this was helpful
Dave
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / UT Testing of corners on Tublar Connections