Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Table 3.1 Filler Metal w/ A992
- - By eekpod (****) Date 07-30-2009 11:04
Could someone please double check me and make sure I am coming up with the correct answer.

D1.1 2008 pg 64/65 Table 3.1 Pre-qual Base Metal Filler Metal Combinations.

They want to weld 3/8" A36 joists to the top of A992 W shapes in the field with SMAW E7024.

I say they can't because A992 is group II and the code won't allow E7024 to weld on the A992 per table 3.1( yes it can be welded but it won't be pre-qualified, and I want to stay within the pre-qual. settings.)

E7024 is not a low hydrogen rod, although my contract documents don't require all welds to be low hydrogen.

They are having a hard time in the field believing me.
Thanks, Chris
Parent - - By James Corbin (**) Date 07-30-2009 14:44
You are correct. Although the joist is A36 and can be welded without using a low hydrogen process the A992 requires a low hydrogen process. Can I assume "they" is the field crew? Only the project EOR can OK a non low hydrogen process for use not the general contractor, fabricator, joist manufacturer, field supervisor or weldor, inspector etc. You might check the EORs contract documents which might ok the non low hydrogen but I would not count on it. If they did use the jet rod get it in writing and use a weld map.
Hope this helps
Parent - - By swnorris (****) Date 07-30-2009 17:18
Chris,

"They are having a hard time in the field believing me"............

Show them the Table 3.1, Group I, Steel Specification Requirement: ASTM A36 (for materials 3/4' thick or less)
Process: SMAW
AWS Electrode Spec. A5.1
Electrode Class.: E60XX, E70XX

Then show them the Table 3.1, Group II, Steel Specification Requirement: ASTM A572 Grade 50
Process: SMAW
AWS Electrode Spec. A5.1
Electrode Class.: E7015, E7016, E7018, E7028

Then show them Note 1 that states that in joints involving base metals of different groups, one of two filler metals may be used:
(1) That which matches the higher strength base metal
(2) That which matches the lower strength base metal and produces a low hydrogen deposit.

Since item (2) applies, that outta do it.
Parent - By eekpod (****) Date 07-30-2009 22:14
Thank you very much gentlemen.  I really appreciate you taking the time to double check me. 
I will show them what I found.
Chris
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Table 3.1 Filler Metal w/ A992