Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / Honda turbo manifold matched runners
- - By aevald (*****) Date 07-31-2009 07:06
Hello folks, one of our students is into Honda performance.... unfortunately he has been into this for a bit longer period of time before he became a student. Due to this mismatch of skills, uses, and timing he ended up with a manifold that had many cracks and other problems that needed addressing via welding. Another of our students has been working on the TIG for the past quarter and stepped up to help him out. Besides dealing with repairing cracks, he also changed the orientation of the turbo from a hanging location to a top/rider. We're rather proud of his initiative and self-starting style, he premarked the orientations of all the pieces before completely disassembling the unit joint by joint and then prepped, cleaned, and rewelded it and flipped the manifold mounting plate 180 degrees, making it a top mount. Hope you folks enjoy the pictures. Best regards, Allan
Parent - - By jffluxcore (**) Date 07-31-2009 15:30 Edited 08-01-2009 13:29
Allen, some tight places to weld. jim
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 07-31-2009 17:59
Hello jffluxcore, that was certainly a challenge for him and part of why he cut it completely apart and then reassembled it. There were cracks between the runners that couldn't be accessed in a reasonable fashion. The fellow who owns it tried to fix it on various occassions, being a rookie, he used ER70S3 solid wire on the stainless and did a very questionable job at best. The student who did the repair work looked it over very carefully and match-marked all the parts, cut them apart, and then mapped out a sequence for reassembling them that allowed for at least reasonable access of most of the welds. We feel that he did a really decent job of it considering all of he variables that he had to contend with. Some of the welds still look a bit rough, but considering what was there to work with, I feel they're at least functional. Not to mention some of these units go for around $1200.00 or so. He learned a lot in the process. Thanks for commenting, best regards, Allan

Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 08-01-2009 03:27
That is quite a project. All runners are the same length?
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 08-01-2009 04:15
Hello Dave, yes they are. Best regards, Allan
Parent - - By drewp29 (**) Date 08-03-2009 21:11
I assume they made sure of adequate clearance for the hood? Sometimes switching to a top mount turbo will not provide clearance for the hood to close unless the fabricator took those measurements and the turbo to be used into account while designing the exhaust runners. I guess the downpipe will need to be custom too since the turbine outlet mounting point is probably not consistent with any aftermarket exhausts. Looks like another project in the works! Looks good now that it is back together. You do any leak testing on it? Dye Pen?

Drew
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 08-03-2009 23:22
Hello Drew, he knew going in that he would be doing modifications to the hood, downpipe, etc. As to the die pen. etc., no we didn't do any of that. Fortunately, this was only going to be a temporary install as he had a completely new unit coming shortly. We also didn't want to invest a lot of time into this as it already had so many other cracks that had been addressed inadequately by the owner before the other student who did this work got to it. We did however, have a thorough discussion between the student who performed the work, the owner of it, and my partner and myself about what the causes likely were for it's initial failure, the effects of heat, the material type and how that could have contributed to the failure. The reasons why his initial repairs contributed more to additional problems than they solved and how when the part was originally built, they could have approached its fabrication differently and increased its life by doing so. For examples sake we could and probably should have done some die/pen checks to show possible inspection procedures. Thank you for the additional comments. Best regards, Allan
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 08-03-2009 23:47
Allan,
  This is for sure an intricate (sp) build. While I do not think that it is necessary to do PT on this part, it would for sure be a good one to learn off of, to look for false indications, tight spots requiring alternative means of cleaning to give true results, application of testing materials, ect. Lots of educational options for this. This does not even address the obvious dedication to the fabricator. Yes fabricator, even though a student.

This is a prime candidate for NDT training both before and after use. I would like to see it after 500 miles. :-)

jrw159
Parent - - By Joseph P. Kane (****) Date 08-08-2009 21:39
allan

I do not care if the work was by done by first week students.  The welds on the lower tube in the last picture, just ahead of your left fingers, is not something to show off!

Joe Kane
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 08-09-2009 01:47
Hello Joe, I would agree with you if they had been done by him. That weld was one of the welds that was already there and had been done prior to his starting on this. Best regards, Allan
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / Honda turbo manifold matched runners