Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / down hill cap whooping my a--
- - By najabat (*) Date 07-31-2009 23:36
Hey how is everbody doing  I was just wondering  what do yall recommend  im trying to cap down hill with 5/32 8010g rods i got my machine sa-200 in 3rd gear  and around70-80   im welding  a 8 inch pipe shedule 40 well my problem is  i cant stack any metel at the very bottom  when im trying to tie in into the cap i just melt the cap away  it happens in the filler too  its probably like a inch an half that im having a problem in  well any advice would be greatly appreciated iv been welding for about 3 years in chemical plants and refinerys so i dont get any practice down hill mostly hiliarc everything  well thanks again
Parent - - By Tyler1970 (***) Date 08-01-2009 00:05
im runing 3/16 70+ in 3rd and 70. maybe try turning it down a hair and are you long arcing the bottom? I bet the pipe cupon is getting crazy hot on some std wall. but its better if you can put some pics up, its alot easier for us to help you out.
Parent - By Shane Feder (****) Date 08-01-2009 00:29
Najabat,
Don't stop at the very bottom, continue a bit past 6 o'clock on every run.
By overlapping each run on the bottom you will build up a bit more metal without having to try and stack it.
On the cap when you get to 6 o'clock go about 1" past then come back over that 1" then head back forward again to complete.
There is a real art to tieing in the bottoms so play around until you find what you are comfortable with.
Good luck,
Shane
Parent - - By najabat (*) Date 08-01-2009 01:43
the closer i got to making it look alright was that im pointing my rod towards the puddle then at the very bottom i go ahead and point the rod away frome the puddle in the direction im travaleing and  start stepping it a little  i  use a short arc for everything except the hotpass i long arc I tack 5 coupons together to make four welds to try to keep it a little cooler what do you recomend long or short arc at bottom i will post some pictures this coming week  thanks
Parent - By 1mancrew (**) Date 08-01-2009 06:11
as a general rule a tight arc will deposit more metal. Conversly, if I start getting a little too full, on a fill pass for example I start to long arc it.
Hope this helps.
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 08-02-2009 14:43
I've been running past 6 o'clock as shane said. That way your not having to fill right there at the bottom. Seems to work well for me. Plus overlapping about an inch gives a good tie in.
Parent - - By bigrod (**) Date 08-03-2009 04:41
i run my 300D in 3rd and on 55 when i cap with 5/32.  but sometimes on the bottoms i will wait 30 seconds or so to finish out capping the bottom to let it cool down.  if the pipe is too hot sometimes i cant get the bottom to stack up either.
Parent - - By najabat (*) Date 08-08-2009 22:51
yea i was running pretty hot i got it in 3rd gear now and 45 at the bottom, a freind told me to step it at the bottom and man it  made a big diffrence. All i got to do is fine tune it and make it look pretty well thanks for the tips i will try to post some pics so yall  can critic it also what gap  would yall recomend 8inch sch 40  downhill with 5/32 6010 im having a little bit of suck back problems at the bottom  root is pretty decent all ready just trying to see what the pros are using so i can fine tune it a little im currently running a good 3/32 gap with  a nickel landing  any info would be highly appreciated thanks
Parent - - By Tyler1970 (***) Date 08-09-2009 23:40
i run a 1/16 gap nickle land. on std wall. any bigger, i got a fein saw blade i use for the bigger pipe diam. its like almost a 3/32. kinda like a lose 1/16
Parent - - By Twangfactor (*) Date 08-11-2009 01:17
That’s funny; I thought that I was the only guy that used Fein Saw blades to gap with.  When I get them from the Fitters I grind off the teeth and pull some of the hardness out so they are less likely to break.  Heat them up till they just start to show a very dull red then let them cool slowly this leaves them hard enough that they won’t stick in the gap after the tack up like a very thin wedge will and soft enough that you can wiggle the gee wiz out of them to get them out without breaking.
Parent - By Tyler1970 (***) Date 08-11-2009 02:02
yeah i like them, i got some pretty lomng ones.
Parent - By ibeweldingsum (***) Date 08-12-2009 02:15 Edited 08-12-2009 02:25
Here is a pic of 12 in. bellhole position weld i did with 3/16 70+ in the bevel and on the cap. My machine was set in third gear and 70 in the bevel then i cranked it up to 80 for the cap. The thing is we all have our comfort zones. All it takes is practise to learn where you like to set your machine. I run a SA 200 when i pipeline but i like my Classic II for fab work. It has AC for running power tools and such. But I know where I need to be on my settings because I know my machines. just my 2 cents.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / down hill cap whooping my a--