Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / technetium steel
- - By PlasmaHead2 (***) Date 08-02-2009 19:35
Has anyone ever heard of such a critter? A chemistry book I’m reading mentions that about 55 PPM of technetium can make iron corrosion resistant. I'm wondering if it is one of those nifty little academic things that has very little application in industry or if it is a valued alloy in some hidden sector.
It makes me wonder a little bit because technetium is artificial and radioactive…
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 08-02-2009 21:14 Edited 08-03-2009 05:42
I think you hit the nail on the head concerning "the hidden sector".

Found this ...
"Technetium was the first artificially produced element. It was isolated by Carlo Perrier and Emilio Segrè in 1937. Technetium was created by bombarding molybdenum atoms with deuterons that had been accelerated by a device called a cyclotron.
Today, technetium is produced by bombarding molybdenum-98 with neutrons. Molybdenum-98 becomes molybdenum-99 when it captures a neutron. Molybdenum-99, with a half-life of 65.94 hours, decays into technetium-99 through beta decay. While technetium has never been found to occur naturally on earth, its spectral lines have been observed in S-, M- and N-type stars.
Technetium's most stable isotope, technetium-98, has a half-life of about 4,200,000 years. It decays into ruthenium-98 through beta decay. "

"Small amounts of technetium can retard the corrosion of steel, although this protection can only be applied to closed systems due to technetium's radioactivity. Technetium can also be used as a medical tracer and to calibrate particle detectors."

Sounds like an expensive alloy that I don't want close to my gonads.
With a 4.2 M year 1/2 life!!! .... thats longer than my ex-wife's nag-ramblings
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 08-03-2009 18:26 Edited 08-03-2009 18:31
I thought it was radioactive because it is "man-made". I was starting to doubt myself when you didn't mention it until your last sentence.

Isn't it grouped with Americium on the periodic chart? I'll have to go look for my chemistry book buried deep somewhere in these piles of books! As I look around my office I am reminded of a wizards workspace.

A well organized workspace is a sign of a cluttered mind.

Best regards - Al
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 08-03-2009 18:57 Edited 08-04-2009 03:36
Hey Al,

It's no wonder I can't find "diddly" these days!!! Thank God for all of my hard drives ;)

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - By PlasmaHead2 (***) Date 08-03-2009 23:30
"A well organized workspace is a sign of a cluttered mind." - I like that one!

Tc is right in the middle in group 7b, right next to Molybdenum and Ruthenium.

Considering I keep my 2%Th tungsten in a box labeled "Red Death" at work... I really don’t want to weld on any of that anytime soon.
Imagine the mess that would cause if someone didn’t know what it was and started grinding/burning a nice chunk of that stuff…
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / technetium steel