Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Fundamentals / 6010 root uphill
- - By southtexweld (*) Date 08-02-2009 22:49
do yal thinks its better to whip the rod or hold it til the puddle fills up?
Parent - By swsweld (****) Date 08-03-2009 02:57
IMO it's better to whip unless the gap is small and then whipping may not be necessary.
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 08-03-2009 03:53
If the fitup is good I push the rod through or into  the gap so all the sparks are on the inside of the pipe. Areas where the gap increases I may start whipping a little to bring the keyhole size down.

Often times it depends upon base metal thickness, fitup, groove angle etc. If all things are controlled like I like em, Its just a straight stringer with no whipping.

Understand that my username does not indicate any exceptional skills above the other welders here. It just that at the time "Old Fat Guy that loves to weld" seemed long for a username.

Gerald Austin
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 08-03-2009 04:16
I almost fell of my chair from laughing so hard when I read the "Old fat guy that loves to weld" Gerald!!! :) :) :)
Too funny because, that's what I call myself sometimes when I'm having fun with my students during my demonstrations. ;)

I also agree with your advise with respect to proper technique to use when going uphill as you mentioned. :) :) :)
Besides, if you demonstrate what you mention on an open root butt joint whether it be on plate, or pipe - it shows in the results and nothing validates what one recommends like the "proof in the pudding" when looking at the results.

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By fbrieden (***) Date 08-03-2009 05:16
Henry, I'm a "fat old guy who loves to weld" too; and, I like having fun with the people I instruct how to weld. My gig now is NDT instuction, with welding instruction still the big picture.

GOOD to see you responding here again.

Fran
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 08-03-2009 09:29
Thanks Fran!!!

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By jsdwelder (***) Date 08-04-2009 00:50
I've seen where whipping can sometimes (could be welder skill, or lack there of) can lead to a root bend that will show some trapped slag. Usually the roots that were not whipped are cleaner. But again if done with minimal whipping you will usually be OK. The fitup does have to be right on to not whip it though.
Parent - - By southtexweld (*) Date 08-04-2009 01:27
thanks for the advise yal
Parent - - By swsweld (****) Date 08-04-2009 01:44 Edited 08-06-2009 01:10
southtexweld,
I'm not suggesting that you need a book, but if you do ever want one for 6010 and other processes, uphill and downhill, all positions I recommend Rampauls "Pipe Welding Procedures." It's old but the technique and advise in it is timeless. You can often find used ones cheaper on Ebay, Amazon or Craigs List.

I let a couple of our younger welders read them and they really liked the book.

http://www.pipefitter.com/existing_php/PWPr.php
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 08-04-2009 13:03
Uphill 6010 is the very first technique I learned as an apprentice pipefitter. And to this day I prefer it. Though I had a very good friend that did a weave drag that worked very well.
What I liked most about it is when you step back from eating the keyhole and deposit metal you can see the metal laying  in there and fusing. Step out eat the keyhole open, drop back and deposit. Just before you close you can take a quick look, and because the width of the deposit is wider than the gap you can instantly assess if you have achieve adequate penetration. And when done well it looks like a stack of dimes laying in there.
Parent - - By ronnie taylor (**) Date 08-19-2009 20:52
Hello js55, Just wanted to say, I've went back to school just to learn pipe and I use the technique your talking about just as you say and I love running the roots
Attachment: 007-506.jpg (41k)
Attachment: 005.jpg (52k)
Attachment: 014.jpg (45k)
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 08-20-2009 12:42
Those are quite nice looking roots.
Another thing I always liked about the technique is that it allowed, at least for me, greater control with great variability in gap width and landing thickness, which is always good when conditions don't allow ideal fits or your probationary apprentice is not the best when it comes to facing with a grinder.
Parent - - By southtexweld (*) Date 08-05-2009 21:40
i appriciate the advice, ive only been weldin a little over a year and still tryin to pick up on all the techniques.
Parent - By weldlion (*) Date 08-08-2009 00:34
Yea i find it best rather than using stringers, just watch the weld puddle and wait until it freeezes before returning to the puddle and adding more metal leaves a stack of dimes look on the inside when you keyhole all the way round the pipe just what you want
Parent - - By Iron Head 49 (***) Date 08-14-2009 00:45
Not being a pipe weldor, and not ever welding much pipe, I like the cut & fill method.
Parent - By sled_king (*) Date 10-04-2009 20:17
I prefer to push my 6010 uphill root in, keeping my eye on the keyhole of course.
Once the keyhole becomes too enlarged (and it will happen), I'll result to whipping.
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 04-02-2010 23:08
Those re-starts could be just a tad better if the welder stayed a second longer on a few of them. ;)

Respectfully,
Henry
- By Sberry (***) Date 04-02-2010 21:34
I agree, nice work on the roots, I dont get a chance to do work that is much anything past rudimentary anymore, would take some practice to get that consistent.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Fundamentals / 6010 root uphill