Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Abu Dhabi
- - By TimGary (****) Date 08-05-2009 12:25
Does anyone have advice for an American considering work in the Abu Dhabi oil field?
or
Can anyone offer typical Saudi Arabia oilfield jobsite conditions / environmet from first hand experience?

Thanks,
Tim
Parent - - By Smokin_1 (**) Date 08-05-2009 16:14
depends on the company, but the one i work for is great if u dont mind working 60 on 30 off
Parent - By Smokin_1 (**) Date 08-05-2009 16:15
dont even think about working for NPCC or valintine
Parent - - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 08-05-2009 19:05
In Muslim countries alcohol beverages are forbidden, so you'll have to get along with Coca Cola; and women (in case you decide to bring your wife with you) are forbidden to drive their own cars.
Giovanni S. Crisi
Sao Paulo - Brazil
Parent - By 3.2 Inspector (***) Date 08-05-2009 19:51
A small correction here Proff. Crisi.
Alcohol is not forbidden in all muslim countries, I have enjoyed a nice cold Carlsberg in Baghdad. Fully legit.

Even in Sudan could we get beer in a few selected restaurants.
The OP mention Abu Dhabi, it would not surprise me if you could get beer there as well.

Another example is Dubai, you would be surprised to know what you can get there.... :)

Parent - By bozaktwo1 (***) Date 08-08-2009 21:54
I, too have imbibed in some of the "dry" nations, including the U.A.E.  Drinking alcohol in public is a huge no-no, however. 
Parent - - By 3.2 Inspector (***) Date 08-05-2009 19:56
Tim,

Do you want to work in Abu Dhabi or KSA? or looking for advice on both?
If you want to go to KSA, I strongly suggest you go to Al-Jubail industrial City. Look it up on Google.

Living environment can be exelent in Al-Jubail, they have big living compounds with very very nice houses.

Parent - - By TimGary (****) Date 08-05-2009 20:52
Specifically, the Zakum Field, for a company named "Brunel Energy LLC".
Parent - - By Smokin_1 (**) Date 08-06-2009 17:43
we are headed for zakum field in aprox 30 days to do 20 pdm,s  and 2 pipelines. brunell is a good outfit, going as a company rep? KSA is a long way from Abu Daubi. drinks are plentyful there. not available in KSA, (Kingdom of Saudi Arabia) expats rent a cab in saudi and run over to Bahrain for a drink. And me.....I head back to the good old U.S. of A. in the morning. good luck i have worked the persian gulf since 79 so anything else i can help u with, let me know.
cheers.
Parent - - By TimGary (****) Date 08-06-2009 19:18
Any safety concerns for a non arabic speaking, non moslem, American?
Parent - - By tigrooter (**) Date 08-07-2009 02:21
Thats got to be a joke. Safety concerns for and american in a arab country what would you have to be concerned about?lol
Parent - By HgTX (***) Date 08-07-2009 18:38
Why a joke?  Arab countries are very different one from another.  Some Arab places you'd probably be safer than you'd be in some parts of South or Central America (or maybe even Detroit).

Hg
Parent - By Smokin_1 (**) Date 08-10-2009 03:17
safer than the usa my friend
Parent - - By tmatthews3rd Date 08-07-2009 21:45
I've spent time in Jordan, Kuwait and Iraq with some of my companions staying in Dubai.  Regardless of the country, you will stand out.  You can find many things there that you can in the U.S.  Just don't flaunt it to the locals, especially with the alcohol.  Even those countries having good ties to the U.S., you are still a "target" to individuals/groups that do not like our government.  On my stay in Jordan, the U.S. deputy ambassador made it very clear (in meeting with me and my friends)  we were targets for kidnappings.  She wanted to impress upon us the need to be aware of your surroundings when leaving the security of our compound and hotel and to travel in small groups.  Above all, do not get into "routines".  I think you enjoy the experience, especially interacting with the locals.  Most are very interested in our culture and how we lead our lives.  I'd rather have someone like you being an exmple of what the U.S. is about than some government official. Take care.
Parent - - By phaux (***) Date 08-08-2009 00:04
How do you get on with these companies? Is it all pipeline or is there other welding?
Parent - By Smokin_1 (**) Date 08-08-2009 11:12
there are no american welders.welding foreman yes, american inspectors yes, its safer than usa in my humble opinion.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Abu Dhabi