Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Fundamentals / pipe preparation aide
- - By aevald (*****) Date 08-05-2009 17:48
Hello folks, for some of you, prepping pipe for practice and testing can often be a challenge. I have included a couple of pictures of a reasonably simple alternative. There are commercially available units like this one, however many of us don't have unlimited financial resources, so here is a possibility. This one is made from an old lathe chuck, a couple of bearings, some tube steel and misc. additional parts. By applying the wheel of the grinder at the appropriate angle and pressure you will be able to grind a relatively consistant bevel at a nice even speed. This is not a powered rotator, it works with the action of the grinding wheel to bring about rotation. Best regards, Allan
Parent - By bbwinc (**) Date 08-06-2009 02:38
Looks good ALLAN !!! I've did my fair share of beveling coupons, looks like your contraption could bevel pipe pretty quick! I got to locate me an old chuck, and try it out!!!!!!! Thanks for the pics!!!!!
Parent - By preston davis (**) Date 08-06-2009 02:43
ive got an old 3 jaw mounted to my table with a couple of pillow block bearings for roll out
Parent - By swsweld (****) Date 08-06-2009 03:16
Allan,
Another gem.
BTB; I gave you a 3. I think somebody mistakenly gave you a 1 thinking that was tops.

We have a pipe threader for 4" and under that works well w/grinder and a torch pipe beveler for the larger sizes but that is a great idea for coupons.
Parent - By Franz Date 08-06-2009 05:51
The front spindle & hub from a Chevy or Ford pickup with a disk brake makes up into a nice spinner without much work.

If you're not going to beat it every day one from a front wheel drive car would work too.
Parent - - By johnnyh (***) Date 08-06-2009 17:53
Great post Allan.  I cannot even begin to tell you how many hours I spent doing what your student was demonstrating during my apprenticeship in the pipe shop.  I remember feathering the stainless and a little land for the carbon.  It is important to not get complacent when doing it over and over again.  Rotating equipment can hurt you.  I was lucky. It is also great training on how to control your sparks in an industrial setting. 
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 08-06-2009 18:05
Hello johnnyh, thanks for your additional comments and also including the part about where the sparks are heading and landing. After I snapped these pictures I had a short conference with this student about grinding so that the sparks were being directed towards the ground instead of shooting upwards. Using the grinder in a manner that leaves a clean edge in the area of the root of the joint can be important (referring to the burr that can be left on the trailing side where the grinding wheel makes contact). There really can be an art to grinding and preparation with any fabrication scenario. Best regards, Allan
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 08-07-2009 01:27
That is a good use for a chuck that has been crashed a few too many times & doesn't run true any more.
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 08-07-2009 01:37
Absolutely Dave, they can generally be had without too much $$$$. Best regards, Allan
Parent - - By patricksnead24 Date 10-31-2009 18:42
[deleted]
Parent - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 10-31-2009 20:20
Very clever Allan.   Nice in the fact you can quickly and easily secure the pipe too.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Fundamentals / pipe preparation aide