Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / WPS Requalification for GMAW
- - By Milton Gravitt (***) Date 08-06-2009 00:44
I'm looking in D1.1 2006 Table 4.5 page 139 (19) part of it states (or in the specified nominal percentage composition of a gas mixture,). Does that mean if your using 75% argon 25% co2 gas mixture can you start using 90% argon 10% co2 without have to change anything or what is the nominal percentage. Any help will be appreciated.
                                                                                 M.G.
Parent - - By jarcher (**) Date 08-06-2009 01:13
Nominal = named. In other words, if you use 75 Ar 25 CO2, its safe to assume the mixture actually has those percentages for testing purposes. According to 4.5, a change in that named mixture percentage, as in your example, is a change in an essential variable and would require qualification of a new PQR which you could combine with the present 75/25 PQR and roll into the present WPS, or use as support for a totally new and separate WPS.
Parent - By Milton Gravitt (***) Date 08-07-2009 11:11
Thanks jarcher for your responds to my question I thought that’s what it meant just wanted some body opinion.

M.G.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / WPS Requalification for GMAW