Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Annoyed....
- - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 08-07-2009 19:29
Just have to vent. Got to talking to my wife today and kinda got a little flustered. All the resumes I've sent out, all the people I have emailed at companies places looking for welders, shipyards and more and 99.9% of the time the response I get is.....you guessed it, a big silence. What's the deal? Is it normal for folks in this business to not reply?? Even a short email saying "hey buddy, P_ss Off!" would be more gratitude than what I get now. Or even a phone call, saying, "no thanks, go jump off a bridge". I know I have not been welding for 800 years but it seems lots of folks are getting out of the game and a little courtesy would be nice. Told some guys the other day while welding gas pipe that this seemed to be the only way to get experience since you could'nt get a job anywhere.....well, at least don't get replies to anything I've applied for which has been quite a lot. My first service connection and they were very pleased with how the welds looked, pressure tested good, but apparently not good enough to go single hand I guess.

Oh well, sorry had to vent about this. Got a friend who is trying to break out to and is feeling the same way from talking with him. I can get a job working on a $1 million dollar machine easier than this, or fixing some soccer moms brakes on her mini-van, no liability in that huh??
Parent - By OBEWAN (***) Date 08-07-2009 19:40
I know how tough it can be, but would say never give up.

Before I landed my current position, I sent out around 2000 resumes over several years.  I had dozens of interviews.  I nearly gave up but did not cave in.  In the end, I won out and landed my dream position.  I was stuck in terrible temp positions for awhile.

I think things have changed in the job market.  There was a time where I got reimbursed for every job interview trip expense no matter how near of far away it was.  In my last search far too many companies expected me to cover all expenses.  Some of them had me driving 7 or 8 hours across several states just to interview.  And, yes, I rarely heard back from a resume submittal unless it was for an interview offer.  I don't think companies want to pay someone in HR just to write letters back to job applicants anymore.  They just like to collect hundreds of resumes and shuffle them.  The best way to fight back is to saturate the Internet with your resume.  If you have a good generic cover letter, it only takes 2 or 3 mouse clicks on the web to apply.  And if you are really interested in a job, you can always spend a few minutes to tailor/edit the resume to be specific.
Parent - - By vantage500man (**) Date 08-07-2009 20:23
Hay buddy you are not along.... i have done the same thing since my reg connections all dried up here where I am from.... I had to look else where same thing 1500 resumes hours and hours on the computer looking every day same thing nothing.... If you are a minute late you lose... Just today trillium tank job indiana filled in and hour of posting ...you have to remember... You me and a thousand other guys all looking for the same thing so just keep it up and your head up your turn my turn will come soon .If i don't get something by sept my shinny new rig will be on the market for sale
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 08-07-2009 20:51
You got a point there and guys with the 5 years experience look a heck of a lot better than me! :-) Good to hear that this is considered the norm though, well, I'll keep on pluggin away! Thanks!

Shawn
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 08-07-2009 21:52
Hello Shawn, some of those first jobs are the toughest ones. Like everyone has basically said, "keep at it and don't give up"! Whenever you are making a change in your job field you will encounter the lack of experience card. You've got to prove yourself to the folks that you are looking to go to work for. That "may" mean that the first breakout job you have most likely won't be the one that you end up sticking with, it generally will offer you the opportunity to prove yourself and gain respect for yourself and your abilities. It can very likely offer you the opportunity to show your versatility considering you have mechanical abilities as well as being able to weld and fabricate. If you can, knock on doors: telephone calls, emails, and other "long distance" contacts won't generally have the same impact as showing up somewhere with tools and equipment in hand and showing your willingness to get at it. A bit more for your consideration. Good luck and best regards, Allan
Parent - By Keplinger78 (**) Date 08-07-2009 22:02
From my point of view,the only work I have ever got was from stopping in with my rig.Most many,many times. "just to check in" and see if anything is going on.That way the people will remember you,and when they need someone,YOU will come to their mind,but don't bug them to death.

Just my 2 cents...

Tom K.
Parent - - By Joseph P. Kane (****) Date 08-12-2009 15:16
Shawn

I haven't been in business for more than five years, and I still get at least a dozen unsolicited employment applications every week.  This is about the same as when I was in business.  I get two referrals from "ARROW" employment agency every week, despite several requests that they stop listing me and mailing to me.  I can just imagine what it must be like for a big business like a shipyard, or Caterpillar, or an automaker.

I understand how you feel not getting any job offers and responses.  However, I would not consider it impolite or unreasonable for a business to just throw your unsolicietd application in the proverbial round file.  It takes time and money to reply to these applications.

..."would be more gratitude than what I get now."  this seems a bit imperious to me.  Are you the worlds best welder or something like that, which would require me to be thankful that you just graced me with your autographed biography?  The courtesy that you are asking for is not reasonable for most businesses.

I hope you get work soon.

Joe Kane
Parent - By bozaktwo1 (***) Date 08-12-2009 17:10
Being in the dubious, often unrewarding position of being in on almost all the hires here, I can tell you without hesitation that we simply do not have time to reply to all resume's.  My rule of thumb when looking for work is that I will send in my resume', and a week or less after that I will (if possible) show up and fill out a job application.  At that time, I might inquire as to who makes hiring decisions, and is he/she available, and can I leave him/her my contact information (make your own business cards up for this).  Following that visit, I will allow one week to pass, then on to the next one.  If they haven't called back after one week, they're not interested.  If they wait longer, then call, you should really think about if you want to work for a place that waits so long to contact a prospective hire.  The bottom line: sometimes you just get lucky, but you should do all you can to stack the deck in your favor.  If a company offers up a teaser, say "we're not hiring right now, but might be soon," then dig for more info.  Find out who the decision makers are, and tailor your resume' and cover letter to that company.  Don't use generic letters or resume's.  If I'm hiring a welder, I couldn't really care less about your 4 year degree in basket weaving or your 2 years working fast food.  I want to know what pertinent skills and education you have, how reliable you might be, what your professional goals are, and other things that tell me you're a good welder and good employee.  The number one thing I'm afraid of is hiring a guy who's going to bolt the first time he gets an offer for 5 cents more.  Because then I have to go do it all over again, and I hate the game. 

So anyway, if you want any more pointers I'd be glad to share.  But don't give up, keep on trying.  Jobs are like relationships; there's one for everyone, just have to find what's right for you.  Good luck!
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 08-13-2009 03:09
Nope, nowhere near the best welder or best anything. Got some attitude on the mechanic side though, I'm good, hehehe. Worked hard for almost 20 years to say that. So, I'll do the same in welding, perhaps in 20 years I'll say, I'm good, now, I just do what I can and learn all that I can. Seems the best way is the way I'm going now. Getting connected with folks, running down my own on the job experience and making a name for myself and my own company. Sure as heck a lot happier than working single hand or for that matter punchin the clock period.
Parent - By Brian T. Beard (**) Date 08-13-2009 03:25
So if you are making a name for yourself and happy, don't sweat the small stuff!!!!
Parent - - By weldhawk71 (**) Date 08-13-2009 04:01
Alot of places in this area are holding resumes. I've talked to a couple alumni that have told me that they have gotten calls from jobs they applied for over a year ago. Seems some companies do this to save money on advertising (former employeer HR rep said this is what they do). Don't fret it. This too like all things shall pass.
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 08-14-2009 10:47
I think I had one of those, it was for a mechanic job and the last time I applied for one of those was last year. They said, "we're hiring mechanics" my response was not that of excitement but like, "Ok???"
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Annoyed....