Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Certifications for welding on crains?
- - By IRAweldor69 Date 03-22-2002 19:15
I was wondering if anyone could help me find out information on what certs.and qualifications I need to have to be able to weld on a crains boom or jib.
Parent - - By TimGary (****) Date 03-22-2002 19:54
First you need to figure out how to spell "Crane"...just kidding...
Design and Fabrication of Cranes for shipboard use are controlled by ABS (American Bureau of Shipping). I don't remember the applicable publication titles right now, but I do remember that to weld on an ABS crane, your Welders Performance Qualification test has to be witnessed by an ABS Representative.
API (American Petroleum Institute) has a specification for cranes titled "2C".
Those are the only two I know of but I'm sure some other guys in this forum can fill in the rest...
Parent - By DGXL (***) Date 03-22-2002 20:06
AWS D14.1-97 Specification for Welding of Industrial Mill Cranes and Other Material Handling Equipment

This spec has requirements for welder performance qualification. It should be noted this reference also accepts AWS B2.1-XX qualifications in lieu of the D14.1 requirements.
Parent - - By Michael Sherman (***) Date 03-22-2002 20:49
AWS D14.1-85 Mill cranes and Material Code. I picked up this cert. in 1998.

Mike Sherman
Shermans Welding
Parent - By IRAweldor69 Date 03-25-2002 15:31
Mike if you could let me know the tests I would have to take to get that cert. and a testing facility or who to contact that would have that information. You can e-mail me at ctblair69@aol.com. Thanks for the help.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Certifications for welding on crains?