Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Small welds
- - By timthetoolman Date 08-10-2009 18:52
I need what looks like a 'micro' weld.  I was told it was done with a special TIG welder.  I tried it with a flux MIG .030 wire but it wasn't very good.  I'm going to try with a TIG but does anyone know what the best welder for this fine detail is?  I need to weld two 3/8" 4130 steel tubes in a "T" shape.
Thanks, Tim
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 08-10-2009 19:11
Is this weld small enough?...razor blades welded along the sharp edge.
Parent - By okwelder82 (***) Date 08-10-2009 19:53
My uncle runs an Electron Beam Welder for an Airline and can weld the sharp end of 2 razor blades together. Its a pretty amazing machine!!
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 08-28-2009 05:37
Did you weld that John??? Because if you did, you have most definitely improved significantly my friend!!! ;) Keep it up John!!! :) :) :)

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 08-28-2009 11:06
nah, that isn't mine.....someone here on the forum posted that a while back.
Parent - By makeithot (***) Date 08-11-2009 00:55
Used to run a machine we called "plasma arc " could weld tin foil???
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 08-11-2009 05:05
You want a TIG machine that will go down to a few [single digits] amps and a really small diameter [.040"] tungsten. You didn't mention the tube wall thickness, but before anybody gives You more specific information, You will need to specify that. If You plan to use filler wire, that will need to be small diameter too.
Parent - - By microfusiondan (*) Date 08-28-2009 00:06
   Hi, Tim

My name is Dan I've been doing the type of welding your speaking of for the past 19 years. Here are some pics of what I'm into.

Dan
Attachment: DSC01692Small.JPG (32k)
Attachment: tig22.jpg (20k)
Attachment: tig33.jpg (25k)
Attachment: tig44.jpg (17k)
Attachment: tig11.jpg (24k)
Attachment: Bowl20Spinner120007.jpg (54k)
Attachment: Bowl20Spinner120012.jpg (26k)
Parent - - By Arctic 510 (**) Date 08-28-2009 00:15
microfusiondan

That's art...
Parent - By Mat (***) Date 08-28-2009 03:17
**** me.  Don't sneeze or twitch.

That's some impressive work!  :)
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 08-28-2009 04:20
I wish We had a tool & die welder like You at the Dana plant I used to work at. We had 1 guy who was pretty good, but not THAT good.
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 08-28-2009 05:33
Hi Dave!

I don't know how to say it other than this: I AM THAT GOOD!!! :) :) :)

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 08-28-2009 06:29
Hank, We could have used You at several places I worked, but at the auto frame plant mostly. You could have split Your time between teaching production welders and tool & die welding. Too bad they closed the plant.
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 08-28-2009 08:30
Hi Dave!

It probably would have been alot of fun!!! :) :) :)

Back in the day, I had the honor to repair a whole bunch of tooling & dies of various configurations as well as different designs for a variety of specialty manufacturers located in Brooklyn, the Bronx, Long Island, Queens, New Jersey and Eastern PA as well as occasional job assignments in upstate NY and Western Connecticut... The owner of the business died and he had no one to continue the business so, the family dissolved, and sold off the equipment and tools for practically scrap prices!!! :( :( :(

I have a close friend who specializes in custom jewelry wh on occasion sends me the materials, omstly different types of corrosion resistant metals and attaches a drawing or two which shows me what they want to do with the sometimes (not always!!!) already pre-fabricated pieces for me to weld together... I've got to search around in myplace to find the picture I have showing some of the finished pieces of custom jewelry and when I do, I'll post them up for your review. ;)

Btw, how's everything buddy??? This frigging cocktail of modern medicine is messing with my body big time this week... I think I'm going to see my PCP in two weeks to get an update on my status with the Chemo, and I'm probably gonna have go back on neupogen again because of what the Chemo has done to my blood work which is always a crapshoot and I know you understand what I mean when I say this phrase!!! ;) So I'll probably be less active in here soon enough because of the sides. :(

Still, maybe it something that I need to do since I start teaching at night again starting the week after next according to the revised scheduled start date, and I'm looking ofrward to being actively teaching again even if it's only on a part time basis which is what I can probably handle with minimum difficulty these daysso, I'm psyched!!! :) :) :)

Anywho, that's about it for me Dave... I hope you're doing relatively well considering the situation we're both in friend!!! ;) "Dios Te Bendigas Siempre Amigo!!!" Translation: May God Bless You Always Friend!!! I also want to extend my prayers to Fran's Father, Fran & his Family in these trying times for them also. ;0

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 08-29-2009 02:33
Hank, I am on a chemo break 'till Oct.5th., feeling better this week than last, when I got dose # 9. I get Neulasta for My white cell count 3 days after chemo, it works better than neupogen, and it is only 1 shot, ask about it. My red cell count stays OK.

Post the jewlrey pics when You find them.

Good luck with Your treatments & the teaching job.
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 08-29-2009 04:29
Thanks for the tip Dave!!! ;)
I'm writing that down right after I type this response. :) :) :)

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - By Ringo (***) Date 08-28-2009 17:56
That's straight-up slick man.Nice job.
Parent - - By Stringer (***) Date 09-02-2009 01:43
Thanks for the pics, microfusiondan. Gorgeous work. Torch model and tungsten?
Parent - - By microfusiondan (*) Date 09-02-2009 22:05

They were done with a Weldtec WP-9. I used .040, 2%thoriated  sharpened to 12 deg.

Here are some pics of some work I did today.  Same torch with .020 1.5% lanthanated with 15 deg tip
Attachment: smalledge4444.jpg (0B)
Attachment: smalledge2222222.jpg (0B)
Attachment: smalledge3333333.jpg (0B)
Parent - By SCweld (*) Date 09-03-2009 20:00
Hey guys thanks for the pics you have posted.  I pull a lot of pics from this forum that I use in my powerpoints for welding classes.  It gives the students a better idea of the challenges that await them. 
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Small welds