Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic AWS.org / Forum News & Help / AWS Chat
- - By 3.2 Inspector (***) Date 08-11-2009 14:54
ross from AWS is ready to re-launch the chat if the interest is big enough.
Show your interest by replying to this thread.

Parent - - By ross (***) Date 08-11-2009 15:02
This would be live chat, similar to the forum, and part of the forum, but not topic based, for real-time discussion. We enabled it a few years ago, but some visitors didn't understand that they shouldn't make forum-type posts there, like for sale items.

A new way to waste time at work.

Ross
AWS Marketing
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 08-11-2009 15:37

>A new way to waste time at work.

LOL @ ross' comment.

Just curious about the realtime effect....other than having to refresh your browser(F5) in the regular forum to see the next post quickly appear...what advantage is the chat room? I think most use the forum like a chat room now, I know I do.

clarification of comment:(asking because I don't know, and not to be sarcastic)
Parent - - By 3.2 Inspector (***) Date 08-11-2009 18:32
I dontknow to be honest :)
I frequent another forum and they just added a chat which is very popular.

Some of the threads sometimes goes off topic, so I just thought of it as a way to keep the threads more clean.
Maybe it was not a good idea that I wrote the post -----> LOL

Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 08-11-2009 19:23
If Ross opens a chatroom I'm sure I'll be there from time to time..
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 08-11-2009 20:08
I don't know come here from sic em' about chat rooms but I would check it out.

jrw159
Parent - By rick harnish (***) Date 08-11-2009 20:41 Edited 08-11-2009 20:44
Yeah, exactly what he said.
Some " How To " info, and I would be there.
Parent - - By ross (***) Date 08-11-2009 21:26
OK, see "Chat" option at the blue top forum menu.

Ross
AWS Marketing
Parent - - By 3.2 Inspector (***) Date 08-12-2009 06:01
ross,
With all respect (I will be as polite as possible)

The chat has......ehm.....a different layout that most other chats out there. This looks a bit more like a message board.

Parent - - By ross (***) Date 08-12-2009 12:54
Yes, it's primitive.

Ross
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 08-12-2009 14:37
Wish the main forum menu had a drop down to tell how many people were in the chat area.

Here's the drop down menu at another forum:
Chat Room
Enter Chat Room 
Enter Chat Room (Float)
0 User(s) in Chat Room
Who's Chatting
Parent - By 3.2 Inspector (***) Date 08-12-2009 14:42
My adult site has all those features you ask for, it will only cost you $19.95 (recurring) a month :)

Parent - - By ross (***) Date 08-12-2009 14:52
"Wish the main forum menu had a drop down to tell how many people were in the chat area."

I can tell you that. Zero.

Ross
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 08-12-2009 14:57
LOL...I see that there are "zero chatters"-(even without the drop down menu). LOL
Parent - - By ross (***) Date 08-12-2009 15:02
We could do different chat software but it wouldn't be integrated into the forum. I'd like to migrate the whole forum into something more technically cool, but I don't want to hear the cries of despair.

Ross
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 08-12-2009 15:06 Edited 08-12-2009 15:09
The other (car) forum that I frequent is using this software:

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2009, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Seems to have alot of "neat" features....including a chat room
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 08-13-2009 01:54 Edited 08-13-2009 01:57
As long as we do not lose the repository of data that has been contributed over the years by too many participants to name individually which has been invaluable to many in here for reference, then changing to a format that can improve, or add certain features that would be of usefulness is definitely a good thing IMHO!!! ;)

However, if the repository is subject to be lost as a result then at the very least, please give me the opportunity beforehand to copy all of the data on a few of my hard drives prior to implementation of such a move to improve what already has been coined as "The World's Greatest Welding Forum" by myself as well as others who have a real passion for this forum as you have exhibited over the years John as well as all of the most frequent contributors also. ;)

If you are going to do this, then please inform me with a lead time of at least a week or two beforehand, so that I can make copies in time to insure that all of the data is not lost forever, and I can turn around and "Re-load it to the newer format afterwards.
If we can do this harmoniously, and I believe we can, then we can satisfy as well as insure at the very least, that important benefit of this forum will always be available for all who not only seek to further their knowledge, but to also have it available for reference as well. :) :) :)

I welcome anyone's response to my suggestion of safeguarding the invaluable repository of reference data in our current version of "The World's Greatest Forum" for any future improvement towards the software that makes it all possible!" :) :) :)

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 08-13-2009 13:31
Henry,
  I would have to agree that there is an abundance of knowledge stored here. I am not at all opposed to a "new look/format" it might liven things up a bit (not that there is anything wrong the way it is). As for this info, if it would be lost and you would have to copy it, man are you going to be busy. :-)

In short, if we can make the transition without losing our history I am all for it. 

jrw159
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 08-13-2009 14:37 Edited 08-13-2009 14:46
Let's just say that I got a great deal on a few Terabyte capacity hard drives that sort of fell off a truck- so to speak, and were caught before they hit the ground - so to speak. :) :) :)

So, in order to save time, I'll be making a lot of hard disk images, and saving them on another one which will give me enough capacity so that I don't run out of space. ;)

We'll make it work, and you're absolutely correct in that it will keep me very busy so I guess I better see about getting started ASAP - Just in case! ;)

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - By ross (***) Date 08-14-2009 13:55
No, we wouldn't lose the old posts. We found a vendor who can migrate them to a new system. Probably won't happen this year, anyway.

Ross
AWS Marketing
Parent - By Tyler1970 (***) Date 08-13-2009 02:30
id prolly check it out.
Parent - - By ross (***) Date 08-14-2009 13:56
Chat's not working out. Can I take it down again?

Ross
AWS Marketing
Parent - - By 3.2 Inspector (***) Date 08-14-2009 14:25
I will not be complaining if you do.

Parent - By thomasyyz (**) Date 08-20-2009 19:03 Edited 08-20-2009 19:19
well  if any thing changes, I hate how I answer to one post and it gets stuck in the middle of the page.
If you follow the topic there is no need to place comments behind the original post.
As far as chat that's fine if we're in the same time zone, but I think the board works fine enough.
If you want to see one that has no sponser these guys kick ass,
http://www.dslreports.com/forums/all
http://www.dslreports.com
neat and tidy
"mañana mas"
Up Topic AWS.org / Forum News & Help / AWS Chat