Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Bend testing for welder qual's per AWS D17.1
- - By alaskan101 Date 08-11-2009 17:48
AWS D17.1 allows for bend testing as an alternate to RT for grooves and Macroexamination for fillets. Refering to AWS B4.0.
The material being tested is 6061-T6 Aluminum  .250" Diameter tube with .035" wall  and sheet, .040" thick.
(Position 2F)  (GTAW) (AC) (Filler ER4043).
Tube to plate fillet test. We are trying to qualify welders for small diameter, thin wall, aluminum tubing.
The challenge is, lack of fusion at the root and porosity.
And yes, we clean,clean,clean.............
I have talked with the test facility regarding this issue and have been told that is just one of many "holes" in AWS D17.1.
My Question is AWS B4.0 does not have guidelines,parameters, acceptance criteria, etc ..... for material that small for bend tests.

Is there any published specifications, technical papers, Referencing Document or such, that could give us some criteria or parameters to work with on thin wall, small diameter material to be bend tested?
Parent - By Ke1thk (**) Date 08-11-2009 19:36
I don't know about any published or official document, but I have experience. 

I recently made a PQR, WPS, and Cert package for one of our bigger customers using .375 x .028 wall 6061 aluminum tubes, GTAW.  I butted up the tubes together and welded CJP welds.  You might try a small gap like the thickness of shipping banding.  Also, set your dig (or balance switch) to seven or eight.  It'll be dirtier but you'll have penetration.  I think I'd use 5356 rod.  1/16 size.

Our best welder and myself welded three sets of tubes.  We sent them out to the lab to have the tensile and bend tests to AWS D1.2.  I know the Code only goes down to .060.  The point was to show our customer what we could do.  It worked.  We've gotten a good bit of new work.

Good Luck,

Keith
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Bend testing for welder qual's per AWS D17.1