Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / welding galvanized with 7018
- - By strother (***) Date 08-12-2009 02:01
I 'm almost done with this job so I guess it's a little  late to get advice but I just want to see if there is anything I missed. I'm welding 1/2 and 3/4 galvanized steel .All of the welding is on site and must be stick welded E -7018.  I'm running 7018 5/32  at 190amps   .I had to   get the amps up to burn through the galv. and get  a steady arc . I've got it welding decent but I'm getting a little undercut and I'm only getting about half the weld out of a rod as I would on plain steel. Any suggestions?     If I can figure out how to I will add pics of the job
Parent - By texwelder (***) Date 08-12-2009 02:39
We did a job in houston, all galv. steel on chillin towers. Over the years I've tried everything so far I've found that weld a hot pass with 5p clean it then come back over it with the lo-hi
Parent - By makeithot (***) Date 08-12-2009 02:58
Grind off the galvinizing before welding and re-coat after with cold galvinizing compound after the weld is complete, Wear a resperator if you want kids. the welds may look good but I doubt they will pass any structural test?????? just my 2-bits.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / welding galvanized with 7018