Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / AWS D1.1 Paragraph 4.9
- - By cong nguyen (**) Date 08-12-2009 08:20
Dear you all,
When reading paragraph 4.9 of AWS D1.1 I found that when we are going to qualify for CJP Groove Welds for Nontubular Connections for Corner or T-Joints the "Test speciments for groove welds in corner or T-Joints shall be butt joints having the same groove configuration as the corner or T-joint to be used on construction, except the depth of groove need not exceed 1 in."
So I have got confusion of this paragraph, I don't know yet when the depth of groove exceed 1 in. then the configuration need not the same right?

Thank you very much and looking for your teaching!
Parent - By eekpod (****) Date 08-12-2009 10:23
I'm not sure I understand your question, but be aware 4.9 is in regards to WPS's, not welder qualification. Dont forget to check the commentary sections in the back of the book as well.
Parent - By waccobird (****) Date 08-12-2009 11:53
I too am not sure of the question, but there is no comment for Clause 4.9, but if you test on one inch plate it will qualify for unlimited thickness. The plates for Procedure qualification on nontubular connections are shown in Figures 4.9 -4.11 The process variables are what you are qualifying not the configuration of the two plates in production. Hope this helps more than it hurts.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / AWS D1.1 Paragraph 4.9