Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Welding Journal July 2009 - Kip Mankenberg Story
- - By Stephan (***) Date 08-12-2009 19:12
Dear All!

Huuuuh.... haven't been here for a while and must see instantly at least a half of a million new posts since I visited this the world's greatest welding forum!

Having had recently a most wonderful e-mail chat with one of my very best US-American friends - btw one of the most  o u t s t a n d i n g  contributors herein. This conversation, as well as the fact that I have a few days off right now, which allows myself to fortunately dig once again into the AWS Welding Journals I have gathered over the past months, are the reasons for me to make a short step into the forum again.

As I have looked into the July 2009 edition I could read a very interesting story of one of our forum fellow members - Clifford 'Kip' Mankenberg - (who is - it's a must for me to confess this - greatly appreciated by myself due to his always extraordinary good posts) who reports on his occupational career!

I must say, great article in general (congratulations to the AWS) - dealing with the nine different careers of nine different people who are employed in the welding business - and in particular a very impressive track record of Kip himself! It shows what welding is capable to provide to each one of us, who we are the members of the worldwide welding community.

What a privilege for a foreign AWS member to be allowed to participate on a welding forum - at least as far as time allows :-) - having members like Kip being so unselfish to share their immense knowledge with all of us!

O.K. that was already all that I wished to say... oh... no... may God bless all of you!

Stephan

Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 08-12-2009 19:29
Hi Stephan, good to see you in the forum again. Hope all has been well with you.
Parent - - By Stephan (***) Date 08-12-2009 22:11
John!

Good fellow... what a 'welcome', when it's coming from you personally!

Thanks, yes. All is good so far, but I've been quite busy during the past months what was the reason for my absence from the forum - most unfortunately (even though and honestly spoken I guess that the most ones must have been rather glad that I was disappeared ;-))!

Meanwhile I had a more in depth look into the sections, although it was not that easy due to the overwhelming amount of new information.

Some changes have taken place as far as I could see. The 'Off Topic Bar and Grill' Section has disappeared, as far as I've seen this correctly, and has been replaced by somewhat new. AWS must have had concrete reasons for that, I suppose.

I have also recognised that there are - still - some very harsh discussions in some other boards and some of the most appreciated forum fellow members and contributors were tried to be bashed by somebody... hmmm... how to say... somebody very special(?). Nowadays it's often rather positive to see some things remaining constantly, but in this case a change towards somewhat better would help a lot, I guess.

By the way... I've seen that my post has been negatively assessed. Do I need to worry about this? ;-)

All the best to you!
Stephan
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 08-12-2009 22:47
Good to see you back Stephen!

Are you planning to visit us for the upcomming welding expo?

As for the hostility in the forum...  Eat the meat and spit out the bones  :)
Parent - By Stephan (***) Date 08-13-2009 08:46
Lar!

You   G R E A T   one!

Thank you so much for the warm welcome... and advice! :-)

A visit of the AWS Welding Show in CHICAGO(!) was also a topic I had discussed with Al.

It would be fabulous to get there. I will honestly try to be there in November and who knows, perhaps we can repeat our common tour again!? :-)

Wish you the best!
Stephan
Parent - By 3.2 Inspector (***) Date 08-13-2009 08:54
No need to worry, it happens to me all the time :)

Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 08-12-2009 23:27
Wie Geht Es Ihnen (How are you?) Stephan?

Good to see you back!!! :) :) :)

I've added some interesting "stuff" in the Metallurgy section for everyone to enjoy, or add to their own databases so, have fun with it. ;)

Anywho, Schöne Ferien (Have a good holiday)!

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By Stephan (***) Date 08-13-2009 08:52
Henry,

my friend!

It is a fact! YOU still are and you will always remain as my highly admired and infinite origin of wisdom! :-)

What, so my humble question, would this, the 'world's greatest welding forum', be without YOU? None!

Thanks and all the best to you!
Stephan
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 08-13-2009 13:58
This is a very interesting coincidence. Just yesterday I was wondering where you were, and then here you are. Glad you're back.
Stick around awhile. Its seldom dull.
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 08-13-2009 13:15 Edited 08-13-2009 13:17
Stephan,
  Well hello my friend. It is good to hear from you. I trust life is treating you well? Have fun catching up on things. :-) I, like you, was quite happy to see Mr. Mackenberg highlighted in the "Journal". Great stuff.

jrw159
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 08-14-2009 03:41
Good to see You havn't given up on Us. By the way, the Off topic Bar & Grill is available [only] by sign up now, If you want to participate there is a sign up thread under "Posts about the forum".
Parent - By Stephan (***) Date 08-14-2009 09:15 Edited 08-14-2009 11:02
Dave - good fellow!

Thank you so much for your kind response!

By this way also - and additional to the PM's - a heartfelt 'Thanks' to the other appreciated gentlemen who have posted so kindly!

How could I ever give up on the AWS forum and its most outstanding members? Simply impossible! :-)

I hope all is good with you and I have seen, the 'Off Topic' forum appears to be available again on a regular basis.

EDIT Hmmm... with respect to my 'Off Topic' comment I do not know how it works but apparently the 'OTBG' is only available when one's being logged in?

This is good, at least from my personal standpoint, as it contains a bunch of excellent discussions and... JOKES*!

All the best to you,
Stephan

* Most likely the greatest Joke collection in the world, but how else could it be, as this is considered the world's greatest welding forum! ;-)
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Welding Journal July 2009 - Kip Mankenberg Story