Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Fundamentals / Ideas and opinions
- - By hollywood1176 (*) Date 08-14-2009 04:29
I am new to this site although I have spent a lot of time reading and poking around . I have found a lot of useful info on many topics but still am drawing a blank on a few things I hope you can help me out with. But first Ill tell you a little about me so that you can help me better. I work for a coal mine in central AL as a first class welder (above ground maintenance crew) . I have only been welding for a living for about 4 months now, I worked underground as a deisel mechanic for 3 years, went to school for a year, getting 6 certs, pipe and structural fitting and welding inspection under my belt and passed the welding and fitting test to get outside (thank God) . I have picked up on welding pretty quick thanks to some old hands including my instructor. I really enjoy it and am trying to get set up in specialized welding ( alum and ss)  . I want to build a rig to work out of as a side line job as I work full time in the evenings and have plenty of spare time during the day. I guess after saying all that here is my questions if you made it this far. Thanks in advance for your help.

1 What type and size portable machine should I get to GTAW, GMAW, SS FCAW along with occasional SMAW?
    I really like the Lincoln inverter machines
2  What the heck is a "Hoosier Pole" ? Ive read that on one of the pipe threads
3  If you could suggest one thing as far as beds go what would it be ?
Parent - By waccobird (****) Date 08-14-2009 13:01
I think hoosier pole is to roll or hang the leads and such on. Here is a thread showing some rigs. http://www.aws.org/cgi-bin/mwf/topic_show.pl?tid=22083
Parent - - By low_hydrogen (**) Date 08-15-2009 02:52
Hoosier pole: if that's what you call it every where i go some one calls it something different.
It is an adjustable pole that exstends from you bed to hold an umbrella grinder and knotted wheel.  most people drape their leads and exstention cord over it and let them hang but not dragging on the ground.  Usaully built out of nessecity for new pipe line construction where your driving down the right of way welding joints togather every 40' feet.
Pull up make your weld hang your stinger and grasshopper on it and pull up 40" do it again.

my one suggestion would be you can't build it to heavy! and put a good vice on it! wilton etc.
Parent - By Pat (**) Date 08-15-2009 03:49
hollywood1176,

Welcome.

What type of welding and repairs are you planning on doing with your side business. I have a Miller 302 Trailblazer, and for the light to medium fabricating and repairs that I have encountered, the Trailblazer is an outstanding dependable machine in it's class. I do not do pipeline, so I have no idea what it's limitations would be in that respect. One thing I can suggest is clamps, clamps, and more clamps. I found early on that you can never have to may clamping devices. I have a Hypertherm 1000 Power max plasma cutter that I run off the Miller, but I have to limit my cut thickness and duration of cut because I was told by the welder supply place I purchased it from that the Trailblazer does not have enough juice for that size of plasma cutter, and it could harm the generator or the plasma cutter if I push it much beyond half of the cutters maximum range. There are people on here with a lot more knowledge than myself who could answer some of your questions better than I can if you could provide more info on what type of jobs you may be going after. Good luck with your endeavors. 
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 08-15-2009 03:20
With regard to question 1): If You want to do AC TIG [GTAW] welding You have to have either a machine with AC welding output or a machine with enough Aux. power to run an inverter welder with the capabilities You want. If going the AC output & HF box route, You will most likely want a machine that offers remote output control & has a contactor, or You will have to add a contactor to the HF box.

How much Aux. power will You need? Do You want to run a plasma cutter & air compressor?

To run GMAW & FCAW properly You should have a machine with DC CV output.

Any machine that will do GTAW will do SMAW.

You didn't mention air /carbon  arc gouging, but for that You would need a lot of capacity so as not to over tax the machine.

Do You expect to do a whole lot of field work, or a lot of shop work with some field work?

Some like the Lincolns, some like the Millers, never heard from anybody who likes Termal Arc.

A suitcase feeder, spool gun and HF box are all costly gear, but that is part of being set up for multiple proceses.
Parent - - By Franz Date 08-15-2009 06:45 Edited 08-15-2009 06:49
Let me be a little Old School here.

Before you have a pile of debt to pay off, find yourself a good used machine and do some market study to determine where & what the market is in the area you want to cover.  A trailblazer will do probably 75% of most portable work you'll come across if you know how to use the machine.  Add a Cobramatic toit and you're good to go on aluminum.

As to an inverter on a mobile rig, I don't like the idea one bit.  Too many electronic components that are not necessarily designed to function in field conditions, and very little need other than on special jobs.

If and when you do run into a job bigger than the trailblazer can handle, RENT a machine for that job from the Local Welding Supply.  Being overtooled is a cost that is hard to justify for somebody starting out.

One of the most important things to your business over time will be your relationship with the LWS.

The most important thing, Always make damn sure you're going to get paid before you strike an arc, and I don't mean get paid when the check finally gets in the mail.
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 08-16-2009 03:29
Franz, I agree with the points You make. A trailblazer 301 or 302 is a versatile machine.
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 08-17-2009 22:23
One welder I know purchased an old ambulance. Not that old, it had a nice cube body and low mileage. He used it as the basis to build a portable welding shop on wheels. It has plenty of general lighting around it so he can work on equipment in the evening and nights. He has a telescopic pole to raise a set of quartz lights for putting good lighting on whatever he's working on. The welder, a trailblazer CC/CV with GTAW high frequency is the mainstay. It is capable of providing current for welding as well as an AC power source for nearly any piece of machinery he needs. The welder is on a bed that pulls out from inside the cabin so there are no fumes, oil drips, etc. inside the cabin. The are cabinets on the outside of the cube for things like welding leads, torch hoses, come-alongs, chain falls, etc. His electrical powered tools are stored inside protected from the elements. He can stand up inside the cabin and he has a drill press and band saw that are also protected from the elements. There is a small door on either side of the cabin that allows long pieces of angle, etc, to pass through the cabin so it can be cut on the band saw.

The truck has a heavy duty alternator, so he has an inverter connected to that and the dual batteries for intermittent power when he doesn't want to fire up the welder.

He has a work bench that folds down from the rear of the cabin and on it he has a heavy duty vice. The bench is powered with a hydraulic ram, so there is no back breaking effort required on his part to set it up for use.

I only saw the truck once, but I was impressed with his ingenuity and his set up.

Best regards – Al
Parent - By ESC300 (**) Date 08-16-2009 03:19
Good luck in central alabama,been a bit slow
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Fundamentals / Ideas and opinions