Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Re-question for Paragraph 4.9 of AWS D1.1
- - By cong nguyen (**) Date 08-17-2009 10:06
Dear you all,

At other topic I have asked about paragraph 4.9 of AWS D1.1, but my question there seem too incomprehensible, so in this topic I would like to re-question you all for this confusion of paragraph 4.9.

Look at para 4.9.1.1 you will see that "Test specimens for groove welds in corner or T-joints shall be butt joints having the same groove configuration as the corner or T-joint to be used on construction, except the depth of groove need not exceed 1 in.". So, according to this issue, when we are going to qualify for Corner joints or T-joints we must prepare the test coupon for butt joint which have the same configuration a the corner or T-joint to be used on construction. Typically, the corner joints or T-joints always bevel on web plate, so when we make the test coupon it must be double beveled or single beveled for one side and without bevel for remaining side, is it righ? More other, could any body explain "except the depth of groove need not exceed 1 in.", I have got confusion about this mention.

Thank you very much and hope some one will reply for my question.

Best regards,
Parent - - By kipman (***) Date 08-17-2009 12:51
Mr. Nguyen,
You have the first part correct - if your bevel configuration for your construction T- or corner joints will be a single-bevel groove weld (i.e. one member is beveled from only one side, and the other member is not beveled) then your WPS qualification test plate must also use a single-bevel configuration.  If your construction joint will use a double-bevel groove weld, then your WPS qualification test plate must also use a double-bevel configuration, etc, etc. 

Regarding the 1" thickness, D1.1 basically says that if your WPS qualification test plate is 1" or thicker, then your WPS is qualified for unlimited thickness production welds.  What 4.9.1.1 is trying to say is that you are not required to test on material thicker than 1".  For example, if your construction joint will be a 3" thick corner joint with a single-bevel configuration, then your WPS qualification test plate must be a butt-joint (this will allow you to get bends and tensiles and impacts if needed) with a single-bevel configuration and it must be at least 1" thick - you can use 3" thick if you want to, but the minimum thickness you must use is 1" ("..need not exceed 1 in.").
Mankenberg
Parent - By cong nguyen (**) Date 08-18-2009 02:55
Dear Mr Kipman,

Thank you very much for your useful reply, it is clear explain and I have understood.

One again, thank you very much!
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Re-question for Paragraph 4.9 of AWS D1.1