Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Dissimilar base metal thickness
- - By jsdwelder (***) Date 08-20-2009 13:23
OK I am really stumped on this one. Hope some one can point me in the right direction. I have a customer who want's us to help them with write a WPS/PQR in accordance with AWS . Problem is, I am not sure which of the AWS codes to use They are welding stainless to carbon plate. The stainless is .025" and the carbon is around .250" at the point where the weld will be. The only weld they really need this WPS to cover is a .125" fillet. Would this be structural, sheet metal, stainless?
Parent - - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 08-20-2009 20:59
Will this be a butt weld? If so, no WPS will allow to weld directly a .025 inches thick plate to another plate .250 inches thick, no matter the material.
In the point where the weld will take place, the two edges must have the same thickness. So, the carbon steel edge will have to be ground to match the stainless steel edge thickness by means of a grinding wheel. The taper of the ground section may be 3:1.
Giovanni S. Crisi
Sao Paulo - Brazil
Parent - By jsdwelder (***) Date 08-23-2009 18:20
No, it will be a fillet weld with .125 legs
Parent - - By HgTX (***) Date 08-20-2009 22:10
Typically I've seen stainless electrodes used to weld stainless sheet to carbon steel.  That puts them in the stainless code, since it's the only one that handles stainless electrodes.  The stainless code has an appendix about welding SS to CS.

There are lots of other past posts on this forum about welding stainless to carbon steel.

Hg
Parent - By jsdwelder (***) Date 08-24-2009 15:01
Thanks for the replies. Just found out that the customer wants this WPS written in accordance with ASME IX, so that makes things a little easier. We will be using a production mock up for the testing.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Dissimilar base metal thickness