Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Wells Index milling machine
- - By TRC (***) Date 08-22-2009 13:50
Wells Index, model 745, cira 1966, 3 phase. Would like to change to single phase. I only bought it ($650) to make stuff with it, nothing serious. It has a 1hp motor and a small motor for the power feed. I called Index and they want $900 for just the 1hp, didn't ask about the feed motor because I'm not spending that much money. I know some of my options are a used phase converter, used motors from another machine or run it off my Vantage 400.  What size converter would it take? Where could I get  used single phase motors?
Can the existing motors be converted to 1ph? Any of your thoughts on how to economically make this happen would be welcomed. Thanks- Ted

P.S. I tested for a large distribution company last week, 1-12" butt, 1-12" branch, 1-2" .140 wall, Second part next week, 1-12" sleeve with backing on the longitude seam 7018 all the way, with water, 1-12" sleeve, 6010 root on longitude seam and 7018 the rest, with water,  1-12" branch 7018 all the way, with water, Anybody else see an increase for in-service welding testing requirements?
Parent - By FixaLinc (****) Date 08-22-2009 17:34
Be easier and probably cost less to find a used 1 phase motor but larger hp.  The larger hp 1 phase motors will need proper starters too so make sure you get that with motor if you can.  Would check first with local electric motor shops they might have a used rebuilt one ready to go and can help you wire it up.  Looking at surplus used motors in yards can be a big gamble if they aren't tested and known to be good.  Those phase converters are out there but not cheap.  Don't know where you are at but this one sells surplus motors of all kinds.

http://www.surpluscenter.com/

Another near me that deals in rebuilding of machine equipment, buys and sells all over the nation is Farris in Lubbock TX, give them a call if need other parts or info for it. 

http://www.farrisequipment.com/

Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 08-23-2009 03:05
I run My Bridgeport [similar machine] with a converter. You will probably have a hard time finding a flange mount motor that direct fits the machine.

You can use a simple [cheap] static converter, a rotary, or a home made rotary converter. The home made rotary is just another 230 volt 3 phase motor preferably a bit larger 1 1/2 - 3 HP that generates the 3rd leg. The only hitch is starting the converter motor, called an idler. You can put a pulley on it and spin it with a rope like an old lawnmower engine, turn on the power and it will run. You can spin it with a smaller single phase motor [disengage when it runs], or start it with a capacitor that is only in the circut until the motor starts spinning [momentary contact switch]. A simple method is to use a static converter and an idler motor.

You wire each hot leg of the 230 volt feed through a doubble pole switch, I use a circut breaker, to feed the idler. Then wire the machine's motors 3 wires to the idler motor's 3 wires. To reverse direction, interchange any 2 of the machine's motor wires.

Don't try to start the idler with any of the machine's motors turned on.

You can probably find more info than You want to read if You look around on the web. Practical Machinist.com has a lot of information, I think.
Parent - - By TRC (***) Date 08-23-2009 09:13 Edited 08-23-2009 09:26
Thanks Glen and Dave, I did a little home work last night and it seems that I can get a rotory converter without spending a lot of cash.  Ted
Parent - By hillbilly (**) Date 08-23-2009 19:40
Another vote for a static converter here. I was able to snag my 2nd three phase for dirt cheap. I've got little extra in my setup as I've added a single phase motor to spin the 3ph one. This wasn't necessary, but its nice to not have to pull start the 3ph motor anymore.
Parent - - By Franz Date 08-24-2009 01:11
On a small mchine like that you are absolutely doing yourself a disservice going to either a static or rotary converter.

For less dollars you can pick up a modern VFD from half a dozen vendors on ePay and have a superior machine with a longer life than you'll get from any phase faker.
Parent - - By FixaLinc (****) Date 08-24-2009 06:21
Yep they don't seem to be too bad on cost thanks for posting that. 

http://www.dealerselectric.com/?gclid=CPvluurQu5wCFRWbnAodRUGSog

http://www.variablefrequencydrives.net/
Parent - - By TRC (***) Date 08-24-2009 22:46
THAT'S what I'm talkin' bout! Will the VFD be able to run both the main motor and the feed motor?
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 08-25-2009 02:51
When You vary the frequency of the converter the speed of any motor it runs will change poportionally. If You use one of those locate it in a crud free environment.

Motors not designed for inverter duty, and machines not fitted with oversize motors can run into problems in low speed high torque situations where they are overloaded and overheat. Use the machines reduction for coarse speed selection and fine tune with the VFD.
Parent - - By Franz Date 08-25-2009 04:35
You just put together one of them short questions that require half a book to answer.

Yes, a VFD can powier bothe the cutting head and the feed, BUT the question is how the machne is wired. 
The second question is the feed drive a single Ø motor or a 3 Ø motor or a DC motor for variable speed?  I'm not looking at the machine, so you have to answer that.

Then you have to also factor in that many VFD units don't much like switching that is done between the VFD and the motor.
Parent - - By TRC (***) Date 08-25-2009 21:24
I pick the machine up on friday so i'll have more info after that- thanks- ted
Parent - - By TRC (***) Date 08-29-2009 14:14
The feed motor is an AC Delco 1/4 HP, AC, 3ph. The different feed rates are accomplished through a gear box. There are no electric variable speeds on either motor.  So will one 2hp VFD run this machine or do I need one for each motor?
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 08-30-2009 04:49
I would expect 1 to run both motors, but You should check with the VFD manufacturer. Mind My comment about the speed of both motors changing when You change the frequency.
Parent - - By FixaLinc (****) Date 08-30-2009 15:53
That's why I said check with a local electric motor repair shop.  I'm sure they have already set plenty up to answer your questions.  Would think if you are using them to control the speed too would need separate one for each motor or aren't going to get the speed you want with one.  That's the way the little AC motor speed controllers work. 
Parent - - By TRC (***) Date 08-30-2009 17:23
Both motor speeds will be used as intended, not varied. I just need to get from single phase to three phase. Thanks again- Ted
Parent - - By TRC (***) Date 09-12-2009 00:07
Ended up going with a rotary converter. The machine came with a Kingmann-White quick change tool holder. I only got 4 holders with it so I need to get more. After many hours on the WWW. I have struck out finding them. Is anyone familiar with this holder and know where I might find them?  Thanks- Ted
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 09-14-2009 04:28
I am not familliar with that brand, but if You can hold 3/8", 1/2", 5/8" & 3/4" shank end mills, You have covered the range usefull in that machine.
Parent - - By TRC (***) Date 09-14-2009 22:22
Thanks Dave, MSC has a set of tool holders for $160 bucks so I thought I'd just go with that. Once again this is just for hoby use- Ted
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 09-15-2009 00:44
I just use R8 collets, You can probably get them pretty cheap from MSC.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Wells Index milling machine