Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Fundamentals / Shooting Nelson Studs on a 45° angle to a flat plate
- - By jwright650 (*****) Date 08-24-2009 14:26
I posted a question similar to this elsewhere in the forum, however I thought someone mught find it here in the "Tricks of the Trade" forum if they were actually searching the forum for this.

Requirements:
< Heavy Duty stud gun to achieve sufficient travel
< fabricate a Stop to prevent the stud from sliding
< a special Split Ferrule Grip to hold the ferrule
< 45° angled ferrules from Nelson Stud Welding

Please see the attached pdf for addition information about this process.
Parent - - By waynekoe (**) Date 10-01-2009 22:53
So John, did you fab up one of these things and if you did, was it worth it for you? How much of a market is there for this type of application? Just curious. Seems a little ambitious, cost wise anyhow.
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 10-02-2009 12:13
We ended up not having to furnish those embeds with the skewed studs, they ended up in the misc fabricator's contract so we lucked out there....LOL
I have no idea how they ended up handling this situation, but I guess they manually welded them.

This was the first time that I've seen these in any contract docs in the 25 years that I've been with my company, however I have seen studs shot on embeds in bridges(straight during the shooting/welding), but then bent at mid-stud to a 45° angle. But shooting them at a 30° from the get-go is something else altogether. We had the HD equipment in place that was required to shoot these(need the HD with the extra plunge)...we just didn't have the ferrules in house, and would have also needed to fab up a stop to keep the stud from sliding out at the bottom.
Parent - By waynekoe (**) Date 10-02-2009 17:08
I can just imagine that it would probably have to be some fairly heavy material due to the high amperage and angle of the stud, hold time and the like. But, even manually welding would be somewhat time consuming I suppose. Interesting concept, though. Thanks for the info. Wayne
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Fundamentals / Shooting Nelson Studs on a 45° angle to a flat plate