Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Liner piping
- - By rmullins1981 Date 08-24-2009 15:51
How would you inspect the liner inside the piping after it is already installed???
Parent - By CWI555 (*****) Date 08-24-2009 16:28
Depends on the liner type/installation type. Visual would be the best option depending on what your looking for. There are remote crawlers designed for that.
if your looking for bonding, thats another story.

What is your specific application?
Parent - - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 08-24-2009 16:52
Are you talking of rubber lining? If so, I'll take a look at the Rubber Lining Specifications I've got at home and let you know.
CWI555, rmullins is talking about inside lining (I don't know whether it's rubber, glass, plastic). The maximum length of pipe to accept rubber lining, depending on the diameter, is 6 meters or 20 feet. How can he visually inspect the lining in the middle of the pipe, 3 meters (or 10 feet) away from the nearest flange?
Giovanni S. Crisi
Sao Paulo - Brazil
Parent - By CWI555 (*****) Date 08-25-2009 09:56
Fiber scope. They come in lengths from 3' to 50+. Remote visual in other words.
Parent - - By Joey (***) Date 09-03-2009 10:13
Prof Crisi,

I'm interested to know about concrete lining. How do you check the actual thickness in the middle and what test method is appropriate if internal access is not possible? 

Thanks in advance.

Regards
Joey
Parent - - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 09-08-2009 14:12
Joey,
excuse me for the delay in answering your question, I've being doing some search because I didn't have the answer on hand.
In first place, I believe that you're referring to concrete lined steel pipe. These pipes are commonly used to transport water and so they fall under AWWA jurisdiction. AWWA is the American Water Works Association: www.AWWA.org 
AWWA has issued Standard nº C301-07: "Standard for prestressed concrete pressure pipe, steel, cylinder type".
This standard must answer your question. In any case, you may check if it does by accessing AWWA site and writing the question on the "Contact us" section. Someone in AWWA will answer you.
Giovanni S. Crisi 
Parent - By Joey (***) Date 09-09-2009 04:57
Prof Crisi,

Appreciate the time you spent to get an answer to my query. 

I have encountered this question from previous project (Pumping Station – Sewage Pipe Special as per BS 534 in Hong Kong ), where the client asked to determine the thickness of concrete lining on pipe that had been installed using any appropriate NDT method.

I don’t have an answer to client request, but I’ve explained that during fabrication, we determined the thickness by measuring the concrete lining at pipe edges or by measuring the ID & OD. While the middle part, we used string connected horizontally at both ends and thereafter measure the clearance using steel rule.

Thanks a lot :) :)

Regards
Joey
Parent - - By texasmike45 Date 09-14-2009 19:38
If you are wanting to spot check to measure thickness you could shoot profiles using digital or conventional x-ray.
Parent - - By Joey (***) Date 09-15-2009 03:32
Mike,

Will you be able to use the said technique for pipe of 1.5meter dia?

Regards
Joey
Parent - - By texasmike45 Date 09-16-2009 19:37
No, Sorry I didn't realize the pipe was that large diameter. Not sure what your specification is but AWWA C104 only requires a minimum liner thickness of .125" for pipe > 30" diameter. We have hot tapped concrete lined pipe and you get a coupon that shows the concrete liner. What are you trying to accomplish?
Parent - - By Joey (***) Date 09-17-2009 04:46
The client rep wanted to cross-check the concrete thickness of those pipe specials which have been erected, there was no access on pipe internal for dimensional measurement, so he asked if there are NDT method suitable.
Parent - - By Joey (***) Date 09-18-2009 06:13 Edited 09-18-2009 06:15
Thanks Amigo :) but correct me if I’m wrong, the instrument suggested is directly to be used on concrete surface but not through metal which basically the ultrasound reflects back. The mild steel pipe has the cement lining on pipe internal and there was no access to scan inside.

Regards
Joey
Parent - - By CWI555 (*****) Date 09-18-2009 19:08
Based on the specs I read, I believe it can make it through. At the frequency it works on, I don't see how it can not. Suggest doing some research on it.
In about 8 weeks, I'll be able to give you a direct report. We have one on order for some water lines ourselves.
Parent - By Joey (***) Date 09-21-2009 16:21
Appreciate, thank you.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Liner piping