Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Lincoln invertec's
- - By tazmannusa (**) Date 08-26-2009 22:44
Hello All
I have been eyeballing a couple lincoln invertec V300-PRO's that are for sale. Just wandering how good are they for mig, mostly small diamater wire for sheet metal and also aluminum and do they hold up well ?
Thanks for any advice
Tom
Parent - - By strother (***) Date 08-26-2009 23:33
I had a V300 pro . I bought it used and ran it pretty hard for about 2yrs. then it died  parts to fix it were $1400.00 . I bought a new V-350pro  I like it , but haven't run aluminum with it. If you are planning on running aluminum mig make sure you get the pulse option
Parent - - By tazmannusa (**) Date 08-28-2009 16:57
Is pulse as good as all the hype I hear about it? I have been building small aluminum dinghies just to learn aluminum, that and its a fun hobie.
The one I am doing now is 10' made out of .100" material, considering going .080" on the next one. So far the best I have and use is the cobramatic 1A hooked up to a classic II running .030 wire. It would be nice to have somthing electric so's not have to listen to the diesel chugging away.
  Tom
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 08-28-2009 18:26
Cobramatic hooked up to a CV transformer power supply is great.. Don't get me wrong

But for stuff less than 1/8" in thickness GMAWP is really an advantage...

I have both Lincoln and Miller GMAWP setups with spool guns and push-pull and am happy with both.. 

If you do alot of aluminum or thin stainless than GMAWP is definatly worth looking into.
Parent - By strother (***) Date 08-28-2009 21:32
the only pulse I have run is on lincoln machine , it does a much better job on thin aluminum and welds better in places you can't get to to clean well
Parent - - By waccobird (****) Date 08-28-2009 18:46
Parent - - By tazmannusa (**) Date 08-29-2009 01:09
Interesting read  Thankyou
Looks like pulse would be the way to go. Bit out of my price range though
  Tom
Parent - By tazmannusa (**) Date 09-27-2009 16:21
Hello All
I lucked out and bought a Invertec 350 pro with AP. on ebay, little rough looking but works like a champ. You guys were right pulse is the way to go on thinner aluminum. Lot easier welding along at a nice pace without blow through. Just for kicks I wanted to see how thin of material I could weld so I cut up some .040" 5052 and set up for outside corner weld, edge to edge without backing, took several tries getting things dialed in but it did finaly do it and that was using .035" 5356 wire. so it can be done. I have never been a fan of the 5356 wire, I like the 4043 better but for marine application on 5052 5356 is supposed to be the better choice so I am forcing myself to like it. LOL  Actualy it runs pretty good with the invertec.
Tom
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Lincoln invertec's