Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / How long?????
- - By zincsvtcobra (*) Date 08-27-2009 21:01
How long does it take the average person to learn how to pipe weld????????  I just started welding school and i've started using 6010!!!!!!!! 
Parent - By waccobird (****) Date 08-27-2009 21:15
depends on many things. The school, your dexterity, the time you get to apply weld, just to name a few. Some are born with the knack and some never get it. Good Luck.
Parent - - By fbrieden (***) Date 08-28-2009 00:02
Define average person please.
Parent - By Tyler1970 (***) Date 08-28-2009 02:11
I have seen guys that have been welding for years, and still cant get it there. but they pass test and x-rays. some i have seen have been welding just a few years, and DAMn they are great. Just got to know how to munipulate how things come and go. how to decide what to do in a certian situation. when you can conqure that, it will not take a long time to get the hand of it. But when you get the hang of it, and know these things, you will be the best. keep on, dont give up, dont stop trying, and Dont get agravated! Welding is not a job but a passion to me!
Parent - - By Arctic 510 (**) Date 08-28-2009 02:27
I passed a 6G test after welding for about two years or so.  I don't consider myself especially skilled, I was a maintenance/heavy mining equipment welder prior to that.  I think it's possible sooner than that, especially if you're going to school for welding. 

Here's the important thing though-After I got my cert and started actually working on pipe, the learning started.  I could pass the test, but real life welding is a different story.  I would advise you to find an old crotchety welder and listen to every word he says. 
Parent - - By zincsvtcobra (*) Date 08-31-2009 20:42
thanks for yalls help and guidence because i need it is very hard right now!!!!!!!!!!
Parent - - By Arctic 510 (**) Date 08-31-2009 20:57
Keep your first workpiece if you can.  At times it may seem that you're going nowhere.  Keep those first few beads to see where you came from. 

The only way to get better is to burn rods.  Keep at it.  In a few months compare your work against your first few attempts.  You'll be amazed, I bet.

Good luck!
Parent - - By zincsvtcobra (*) Date 09-03-2009 23:58
i know what you mean!!!!!  I've just started back and i have been inpressed my myself and i know i can do this(might have to burn a semi full of rods)and im going to be a pipe welder oneday soon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Parent - - By Gregory Walker (*) Date 09-06-2009 00:29
Dont think jus weld its all round with a hole in the middle whether its 2" or 48".  Keep workin on it and burn rod burn rod burn rod thats the only way to get where you want to be.
Parent - By zincsvtcobra (*) Date 09-07-2009 23:51
i know what you mean and i am getting a lot better day after day
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / How long?????