Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / OFW Filler Wire Selection
- - By jd369 (**) Date 04-02-2002 01:58
Hello
I would like to find more info on the different grades of mild steel filler wire for oxy-acetylene welding. I will be joining mild steel plates from 1/16" to 1/4". I'm doing this out interest, I haven't used oxy-acetylene welding for years and would like to try my hand at it again. I usually use mig,tig or stick, but thought it would be fun to try the torches again.
What is the difference between the R65, R55, and R45? Maybe someone could tell me or reccomend a website or book.
Thank you.
Jim
Parent - - By Niekie3 (***) Date 04-02-2002 17:26
The 65, 55 and 45 refer to the nominal tensile strength of the as deposited weld metal in ksi.

Talking about ksi, let's considder something entirely different! Is there not a problem with the logic of the ksi units. The k refers to Kilo, which is a SI prefix while the si refers to square inch which is clearly imperial.

I am not trying to start a fight, merely pointing out what is surely an inconsistency. (Probably not very important, but an inconsistency none the less.)

Regards
Niekie
Parent - - By jd369 (**) Date 04-02-2002 17:36
Thanks for the reply Niekie, I have my answer now. One more question though? Have you found there to be a difference in the rods from a user standpoint? For example, does the R45 flow better than the R65 etc?
Regards
J Dryden
Parent - By Niekie3 (***) Date 04-03-2002 19:12
In the industry I am in, we generally do not use OFW. The last time I have had anything to do with OFW was when I was still doing my practical for my welding engineering qualification. (Many years back!) As such I can not remember if there was any difference in the way these rods weld.

Regards
Niekie
Parent - By billvanderhoof (****) Date 04-03-2002 06:21
In this case k refers to kips. Jargon in english units for thousands of pounds. Surely in turn derived from kilo-pounds.

Regards

Bill
Parent - - By ALAN RIDDLE (*) Date 08-23-2002 10:13
I worked for an electric utility for 22 years as a welding trainer. Our first class welders were qualified on OFW for pad welding boiler tubes. They welded 3" sch. 40 pipe in the 2G and 5G position as a test. We used RG65 wire, 1/8" for root pass and 3/16" for the covers. Believe me, it is a lost art, I loved teaching it. The welds produced were xray quality per ASMEIX. Most of the guys liked a No. 3 tip for the roots and a No. 4 on the cover but some stayed with the 3 for both passes. Use a lot of preheat, a lot of preheat, a lot of preheat and double up of the gloves!!!
A very slightly carburizing flame assisted in the wetting action, never go oxidizing or you will have a very very long day at the office.

Alan
Parent - By Jay Krout (*) Date 08-24-2002 01:30
just curious, do they ever use acetylene welding in any industry much anymore, in high school I learned it and and got pretty good at it, but like Jim got away from it( I guess they call it progress) wouldn't mjnd pickin up a torch and tryin it again, if I could find a day to just play. J Krout
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / OFW Filler Wire Selection