Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / sensitization
- - By no1welder (*) Date 08-28-2009 17:27
I have a question about sensitization of S/S. I saw someone fusing 304 7ga. tubing. No root opening (.010 spacing) tight butt joint.The tube uaw purged. With no filler metal at 140 amps. and very slow travel speed. Is this a time that could lead to sensitization ?
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 08-28-2009 18:20
There is always sensitization, or at least a bonding of C with Cr depending upon how you define sensitization. Even with the L Grades. Stuff just happens on the grain boundary. Its a microstructural superhighway. Its just a question of how much and whether its tolerable or not. With less carbon, as in the L Grades, and/or less time in the sensitization range there will be less bonding of C to Cr and consequently little to cause that specific type of corrosion concern, or be detectable in most tests available.
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 08-31-2009 05:19
I would be more concerned with the ferrite content and the propensity for cracking.

Best regards - Al
Parent - By cwi49cwe (*) Date 09-07-2009 03:00
A few comments in addition to those already made, sensitivity in stainless is developed the more the weld joint is heated and the time that the weld joint is kept at about 600F and above, so yes it starts with the first weld bead and continues and grows as long as the joint is in the "sensitivity temperature range", the low carbon grades are better at narrowing the amount of sensitive zone. But what I read that I have a difference with is you said the welder was traveling real slow, fault #1, the other thing is the no filler metal was used on a butt joint ( fusion welding ), all butt joints will have "some" area at the face to "fill" in and the melted metal will fill the joint and it will be impossible the maintain "full base metal" cross section and cracking in the center of the joint is going to happen, it's all a matter of when, I hate to see a company that thinks they can save a few $$ and don't care enough about their customer or product to do it right. It's a classic example of a company that is in the business of welding and they little about it. But once the product is sold and they got their money, WHO CARES. Welcome to quality control mind set .........................
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / sensitization