Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / RT Questions
- - By hrezvany (*) Date 08-31-2009 11:09
Which of following defects are detectable by RT?
1. Lack of side wall fusion
2. overlap
3. lack of inter run fusion
4. toe crack
Parent - - By kipman (***) Date 08-31-2009 12:39
Theoretically, all of them are detectable.  It depends on discontinuity orientation relative to the radiation beam and film.  In practical terms, overlap would be very difficult to see radiographically in most cases - it should be detected visually.
Mankenberg
Parent - By hrezvany (*) Date 09-01-2009 05:22
This is relevant to one of the CSWIP 3.1 questions which I found it a little strange:
The question is as follow:
Which of the following defects are likely to be missed using x-ray as the inspection medium?

1. plate lamination, lack of side wall fusion on a single U butt weld preparations and cap overlap.

2. toe crack, plate laminations and lack of side wall fusion on asingle U butt weld preparation

3. plate laminations, lack of inter run fusion with the mag welding process and cap overlap

4. all defects are detected when using xray

I found that true answer is the second. you are right detecting is pertinent to orientation. what's your opinion about he answer.
Parent - By 3.2 Inspector (***) Date 09-01-2009 07:46
I think the key to the answer is "U joint configuration"

Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 09-01-2009 03:55
Are We doing Your homework for You?
Parent - - By hrezvany (*) Date 09-01-2009 05:21
This isn't my homework, This is relevant to one of the CSWIP 3.1 questions which I found it a little strange:
which of the following defects are likely to be missed using x-ray as the inspection medium?

1. plate lamination, lack of side wall fusion on a single U butt weld preparations and cap overlap.

2. toe crack, plate laminations and lack of side wall fusion on asingle U butt weld preparation

3. plate laminations, lack of inter run fusion with the mag welding process and cap overlap

4. all defects are detected when using xray

I found that true answer is the second.
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 09-02-2009 02:20
OK, glad You are finding the forum to be of help.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / RT Questions