Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Weld Face Reinforcement
- - By miguel P (*) Date 04-04-2002 13:40
I am disagree with the weld face measurement method. The AWS d1.1 (5.24.4) say that the weld reinforcement of a butt or corner joint shall be no more than 3 mm in height and all welds shall have a gradual transition of the plane of the base-metal surface. However. I have seen reinforcement "lower than 3 mm", but the angle between the plane of the base metal and the weld reinforcement tangent is too high (around 70 - 80 degrees, sometimes is 90) so, according to tha code, I cannot reject this reinforcement by 5.24.4. Is there another method to determine de acceptance of weld reinforcement? How can I measure the "gradual transition of a weld" and how much is its value?.
Regards.
Miguel.
Parent - By CHGuilford (****) Date 04-04-2002 14:48
Miguel, I have seen the kind of weld reinforcement you are talking about. It usually happens because of too much amperage and/or too slow a travel with sub-arc on the cover. The bead edges form almost a 90 degree angle to the plate surface while the middle is nice and flat. It almost looks like someone laid a thin flat bar on the surface. If there was a little less metal, it would be the perfect cover pass, and the machines should be adjusted to take care of it.

Unfortunately, "gradual transition" is a subjective definition. Figure 5.4 helps but it too lacks actual dimensions. I loosely apply the 1 to 2.5 (~22 degrees) criteria found in Figure 2.2 and take into consideration that the weld toe could form a bit more than 22 degrees but should not exceed 45 degrees. The condition is almost considered overlap, but not quite. This is just my personal opinion. If I were challenged on it I would have to refer the matter to the responsible engineers.

Hope this helps,
CHGuilford
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 04-04-2002 16:22
I agree that the "reinforcement" amount may not affect the quality of the weld as much as the re-entrant angle into the base metal at the weld toes.

I sometimes wonder how much time is wasted grinding the reinforcement off of butt welds just so our gauges measure properly.

"Gradual" what a term to use in a code!

Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Weld Face Reinforcement