Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / A good TIG machine
- - By TheBense Date 04-04-2002 22:55
I am a second year welding student at my high school vocational center. And, I am interested in maybe purchasing a welding machine. I don't really care about MIG, so a GTAW/SMAW machine would be good for me. I really like welding stainless pipe in 6G positions and I want a machine that could weld stainless and aluminum. I know how to weld, but i don't know anything about machines. I don't know what machines are good and whats not, since the only machines that i've ever got to use is the machine that i have in my welding class. Well my price limit I guess that my price range would be no more than $2000. I don't mind purchasing a used machine...but just as long as its a good machine. Well thanks for your help
-Andrew Bense
Parent - By boilermaker (**) Date 04-08-2002 18:49
The best way to find out which machine is best, go to Miller welding's website, and Lincoln's also. You should be able to find out what you want. Myself, I would buy Miller because of reputation. That's what I use all day at work and they can take the heat.
Parent - By airweld (**) Date 04-09-2002 01:43
I used a Lincoln Squarewave 175 for 4 years or so almost daily and it never had a problem. Basic TIG for a reasonable price. Good luck.
Parent - By screamer Date 04-10-2002 18:49
You can buy a brand new machine for under $2,000. I saw a Miller Maxstar 200SD that was running somewhere around $1,600 online at www.welders-direct.com It might be cheaper than the local store since you don't pay tax or shipping. I think they also carry used equipment.
Hope this helps.
Screamer
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / A good TIG machine