Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Nuclear Power Plant
- - By 3.2 Inspector (***) Date 09-02-2009 18:57
Hey,

I have just been approved as an inspector at a nuclear power plant.
What kind of materials should I expect?

This is a new area for me, but I guess hot steam is hot steam no matter where it is located (?)
I am fully aware that they have extreme procedures for everything.

I passed an external audit, but would not ask that question to the auditors :)

Parent - - By Arctic 510 (**) Date 09-02-2009 19:30
Hey 3.2, congrats and good luck! 

As far as useful answers, sorry, I have none!
Parent - By 3.2 Inspector (***) Date 09-02-2009 19:41
Thank you anyway :)

Parent - - By kipman (***) Date 09-02-2009 20:37
What do you mean by "materials"?
Parent - By 3.2 Inspector (***) Date 09-03-2009 04:19
GRoberts and G.S Crisi answered my question :)

Parent - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 09-02-2009 23:33
A nuclear power plant is divided into two sections: the nuclear section and the non nuclear one, that contains the turbine generator and auxiliary equipment and piping.
This latter one is no different from a normal thermal power plant and you must expect the same materials used for it.
Regarding the nuclear section, here in Brazil we got two nukies (as Americans call them). The first one was designed by Westinghouse, with Gibbs and Hill as consulting engineers, and ran into one thousand and one problems that took it (the nukie) out of operation one thousand and one times. The latter one was  designed by Siemens and since its commissioning it ran like a Swiss watch (Deutschland Deutschland uber alles, 3.2!!).
Newspapers have talked a lot on the first and nothing about the second. I'll tell you what newpapers have said and I still remember.
Turbine condenser tubes. The turbine condenser had Admiralty brass tubes but they were corroded by cooling water (sea water). So, they were replaced by titanium tubes.
Nuclear fuel containing tubes. They were made with Incoloy (newspapers didn't tell which one) but didn't withstand radiation. So, they were repalaced by zirconium tubes. 
Sorry, but that's all I can tell you.
Giovanni S. Crisi
Sao Paulo - Brazil
Parent - - By GRoberts (***) Date 09-03-2009 00:59
Due to the lower temperatures, the materials for nuclear plants are not as exotic as other power plants (assuming you are talking water cooled plants here).  You will mostly see low alloy steel, carbon steel, 304/316 and possibly 347 types of stainless steels, and a spattering of Inconels.  Depending on the reactor vintage of the reactor, either inconel 600 or 690, or both.  In Europe, maybe alloy 800 too.  There will be a few odds and end alloys as well for things like pumps and valves.  The secondary side may have some low chrome steels if they are concerned about flow assisted corrosion.  There shouldn't be any of those high chrome alloys like P91, which aren't needed for low temp steam.  There could be more variation on the secondary and tertiary side of the plant as there are more designers/constructors than there are vendors for the primary side of things.
Parent - - By 3.2 Inspector (***) Date 09-03-2009 04:19
Thanks, this was just what I was looking for.
I was not aware that the "nukes" had lower steam temperatures.

Thanks to all who answered.
Parent - - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 09-03-2009 19:00
I'll tell you why, 3.2
Conventional thermal power plants use superheated steam. As you know well, saturated steam coming out the of the steam drum passes through the superheaters and then down to the turbine. In supercritical boilers, steam is already superheated when it leaves the once through tube.
In nuclear power plants, the steam leaving the nuclear reactor is saturated. At present state of technology, it's impossible to superheat the steam. Maximum that can be done is to reheat the steam that has left the high pressure part of the turbine, before it enters the low pressure part. In fact, the steam that leaves the high pressure part is humid, and by reheating, it becomes saturated again.
Giovanni S. Crisi  
Parent - - By Mikeqc1 (****) Date 09-03-2009 21:04
Would you say this information is correct?
Saturated steam occurs when steam and water are in equilibrium. If you have a closed container of water and heat it, above 100 celsius the steam pressure will start to rise, and as the temperature continues to rise, the pressure will go on rising. What is happening is that steam is being evolved to match the temperature (steam tables will give this relation) and the steam conditions are said to be saturated because if the pressure is raised by external means, some of the steam will start to condense back to water.

If the steam pressure is held at a lower level than that achieved at saturation, by taking steam off to feed a turbine or other steam usage, there is effectively an excess temperature for that pressure, and the steam is said to be superheated. It in fact then becomes dry, and behaves as a gas. The amount of superheat can be quantified as so many degrees of superheat (celsius or fahrenheit). Turbine designers want steam to be superheated before reaching the turbine, to avoid condensation causing blade erosion, and steam producing boilers in power plants are designed to produce superheated steam

I do not want to read  somthing thats false
Parent - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 09-04-2009 19:19
Mike,
thermal power plants work this way. Let's say that it's a conventional power plant. 
Water coming from the deaerator is taken by the boiler feed pump and passes through the high pressure heaters and enters the boiler, precisely into the steam drum. From the steam drum, the water goes down to the mud drum, from where it's partially distributed to the water headers. From the mud drum the water enters the so called raiser tubes and it's directed to the steam drum. From the water headers the water is directed to the steam headers, and then to the steam drum. Somewhere in between the mud drum and the steam drum, and in between the water headers and the steam headers, the water evaporates and becomes humid steam. Humid steam means that it's not pure, rather, it contains water droplets.

In the steam drum the humid steam passes through the scrubber, which retains the water droplets. The steam that leaves the scrubber is saturated steam, whose definition you've given on your posting. From the steam drum the steam goes to the superheater tubes, where it becomes superheated, whose definition you've given on your posting. The superheated steam goes then to the high pressure section of the turbine where it expands, loosing pressure and temperature (remember the gas law PV = RT). Before being sent to the low pressure section of the turbine, the steam must be reheated to recover some (although not all) of its pressure and temperature. So, it goes back to the boiler, where this operation takes place.

The reheated steam is then sent to the low pressure section of the turbine, where, again, it expands and looses pressure and temperature. Somewhere before the last turbine stages the temperature and pressure losses have been so great that the steam becomes humid again. At this point, the steam velocity is low and no blade erosion will occur. When it leaves the last turbine stage and goes to the condenser, the steam is at a pressure below the atmospheric and at a temperature below 100 C or 212 F. 

From the condenser, the water (called condensate in boiler room slang) is taken by the condensate pumps and sent first to the low pressure heaters and then to the deaerator, where the cycle starts all over again. This cycle is called the Rankine cycle and you can follow it, step by step, on the Mollier diagram.
Giovanni S. Crisi

PS 1. If you hate to read something that's not true, you better abandon this Forum, because I've seen a lot of incorrections written along the years that I frequent it.
PS 2. I've not been able to open the site attached to your second posting. Sorry.
Best regards

Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 09-04-2009 20:22
This link is sooo much better than the one you're offering Mike!

http://www.spiraxsarco.com/resources/steam-book.asp

You might want to take alook yourself! ;)

http://www.spiraxsarco.com/resources/steam-engineering-tutorials.asp#block16

This is what Professor Crisi is referring to:

http://www.spiraxsarco.com/resources/steam-engineering-tutorials/steam-engineering-principles-and-heat-transfer/superheated-steam.asp

ENJOY!!! :) :) :)

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By fbrieden (***) Date 09-03-2009 03:56
Shouldn't this topic have been addressed when you were dealing with whomever approved you?
Parent - - By 3.2 Inspector (***) Date 09-03-2009 04:16
I dont think so.
I was audited for more than 3 hours, took a test in front of them and they approved my CV, which clearly states my experience and knowledge - or lack of same!

Parent - - By Joey (***) Date 09-03-2009 08:17
3.2 Congrats :) I guess you must be wearing a talisman :) during the audit.

Regards
Joey
Parent - - By 3.2 Inspector (***) Date 09-03-2009 09:06
J,

To be honest, it was not that hard as the materials are not that "exotic"
The hardest part was all their internal procedures.

Parent - - By Joey (***) Date 09-03-2009 09:49
Just kidding :) good luck.
I know you're capable.

Regards
Joey
Parent - - By Bill M (***) Date 09-03-2009 20:47
best of luck
Just curious, It is an existing plant...or new construction?
Parent - - By 3.2 Inspector (***) Date 09-04-2009 06:51
Existing plant

Parent - - By Arctic 510 (**) Date 09-04-2009 21:05
I noticed all of your posts in this thread are rated "1".  Did someone actually take the time to rate all those posts "1", even the one where you were saying thanks to my congratulatory post at the top?  If that is the case, someone has a lot of time on their hands!  I'm not 100% familiar with how all that works though. 
Parent - - By Shane Feder (****) Date 09-05-2009 01:59
Someone with an IQ equal to their shoe size is playing games.

Have a good weekend everyone,
Cheers,
Shane
Parent - By ctacker (****) Date 09-05-2009 02:38
Thats giving them high marks Shane :)
Parent - By 3.2 Inspector (***) Date 09-05-2009 02:15
I dont take notice of it :)

Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Nuclear Power Plant