Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Star Power! Look at all of the welding involved!
- - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 09-03-2009 07:21
This is why I'm so PROUD TO BE AN AMERICAN!!! ;) ;) ;)

https://lasers.llnl.gov/

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/science/jan-june09/fusion_03-17.html

And if this works, we won't have to worry about nuclear waste as much:

https://lasers.llnl.gov/missions/energy_for_the_future/life/

Check out the videos:

https://lasers.llnl.gov/multimedia/video_gallery/

Especially this one:

https://lasers.llnl.gov/multimedia/video_gallery/target_chamber_construction.php

Enjoy and feel PROUD TO BE AN AMERICAN!!!

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 09-04-2009 12:10
That one about nuclear fusion is pretty slick. The power of the sun here on earth, wait a minute.....are they not trying to build a black hole somewhere in Europe too???? LoL! I've heard them say if they could get fusion our energy worries would be over, looks like we're on our way.
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 09-04-2009 12:32
Gotta build fifty cackozillion windmills first.  :)
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 09-04-2009 13:37
Nah!!! Just Fifty BILLION!!! You know Jeff, kind of like a WPA program mirroring what Roosevelt did with building all of those dams in the thirties!!! ;) ;) ;)

Btw, What exactly is a "cackozillion???" Is it like a trillion - trillion??? :) :) :) Man that's a lot of zero's... I wonder what it would look like in scientific notation??? ;)

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 09-04-2009 15:33
Henry,
Its a number thats a little closer to the number of grains of sand on the California coastline (X) than it is to the number of pregnant hippos in the San Diego Zoo (Y).   :)

~> (X + Y) / 2 =  1 CZ
Parent - - By Stephan (***) Date 09-04-2009 15:52
Friends!

One cackozillion!!!

I can't stop laughing! :-)

Wasn't that number - and its derivation ~> (X + Y) / 2 =  1 CZ - the major reason for the fact that HEISENBERG was granted with Phyics Nobel Prize?

Guys, exactly this it is what makes me loving the forum!

Excellent!
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 09-04-2009 16:22
Not Heisenburg so much as Benoit Mandelbrot
Though the ~ in ~> (X + Y)/2 = 1CZ does have a Heisenbergian ring to it.
Where does the California coast begin and end?
We can determine the precise position of the California Oregon boundary condition, and we can precisely determine the position of a grain of sand. But we can't do both at the same time, ala Heisenberg.
Its fractal nature makes it indefinate. Thus, the prefix cacko. Dubbed by me as an indefinate number suffixed with zillion to convey a very large indefinate number.
OK, so I'm not so much "Standing on the Shoulders of Giants" as much as maybe brushin lint off their shoulders.   :)
Parent - - By Stephan (***) Date 09-04-2009 17:08
LOL!!! :-)

Dear Professor Jeff S.

I have hardly tried to follow your wise explanations and to figure out if I understood you correctly, please see the embedded picture.

Is this... hmmm... almost that... what you have pointed out?

Or is this, what I have embedded, hmmm... how to say... rather a 'cackocondition'? LOL!! :-)

@ Henry: Please forgive me Henry! I didn't want to abuse your excellent thread, it's just... hardly to resist! :-) ;-)
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 09-04-2009 17:18
I am LMBO at this thread...<wiping tears>

Where's Lawrence?...waiting to read some of his humor interjected into all of this crockozillion ...er...I mean crackozillion nonsense.
Parent - - By Stephan (***) Date 09-04-2009 17:25
John!!

Aaaahhhhhh!

You're a godsend!!

That's what I was wrong!!

It wasn't a 'cackozillion relation' but a 'crackozillion condition"!!

I can't stay it any longer... my paunch aches from laughing!! :-)
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 09-04-2009 17:53 Edited 09-04-2009 17:55
Stephen,
You have precisely, if we can use the term in this context, conceived of the cacko condition.
You start with an assessmennt of the number of windmills required to achieve an arbitrarily established M Wattage (not to be confused with, or necessarily segregated from, the misundertood M theory in physics, or M Butterfly in theater, although there certainly was some Heisenbergian flavor to M Butterfly, not that Warner was anything like J Edgar Hoover, and Warner is all over that String stuff, but I digress).
But you must impose upon the equation several cacko factors.
First, the availability of wind. This quickly becomes cacko-fractal when you try and average the available windage and determine how big of a representative coordinate system will be used. The bigger the coordinate system the more homogeneous (no, we ain't back on M Butterfly or J Edgar)the number becomes, though it also becomes more inaccurate.
Now, as your illustration makes perfectly clear, a butterlfy's wing in Brazil (ala Edward Lorenz) can certainly add some Heisenbergian uncertainty to the survival rate of operating windmills, and therefore a cacko-fractal-chaos factor must be imposed.
Now given that we have only touched the tip of the iceburg with factors we can immediately surmise that the cacko-fractal-chaos factor system becomes cacko-fractal (and if the a Labor Union gets involved Chaos) itself. So we have a tiered Emergance/Supervenience factor (ala G.H. Lewes).
By the time you resolve the cacko-fractal-chaos-emergence equation you end up saying 'scrooo it', lets go back to coal.
Parent - By Stephan (***) Date 09-04-2009 18:09
Jeff!!

I'm done... please call an ambulance!!

Good bye, good bye you wonderful welding forum! Jeff blew of my light! :-):-):-)

"...that the cacko-fractal-chaos factor system becomes cacko-fractal (and if the a Labor Union gets involved Chaos) itself..:"

That is... unbeatable!
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 09-04-2009 19:17 Edited 09-04-2009 20:33
OMFG!!! ROTFLMFAO REPEATEDLY!!!! :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

That is an excellent representation of err, err, err???? WTF did it represent again??? I'M REALLY LOSING IT FELLA'S!!! :) :) :)
I HOPE I DON'T HAVE ORGAN REJECTION FROM SOOOOO MUCH LAUGHING!!! :) :) :) I CAN'T STOP FRIGGIN LAUGHING!!! ;) ;) ;) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

I'm DRUNK WITH AN EXTREME CASE OF INFINITE (CACKOZILLIONEOUSLY :) ) LAUGHTER!!! SOMEBODY CALL AN AMBULANCE!!!! ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) :)
AND I DON'T EVEN DRINK!!! :) :) :) :) :)

WHAT A GREAT WAY TO END THE WEEK!!!! THANK YOU STEPHAN AND OF COURSE JEFF!!!!! :) :) :) :) :)

ENJOY THE LABOR DAY WEEKEND!!! I KNOW I WILL!!! ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - By spgtti (**) Date 09-05-2009 22:47
Not the Besse pics again.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Star Power! Look at all of the welding involved!