Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / ASME Certification
- - By PipeIt (**) Date 09-03-2009 19:03
We are a pipe fabricating shop interested in getting our ASME certification U, S, & R stamps, what path is the best way to accomplish this effort?
Parent - By Mikeqc1 (****) Date 09-04-2009 02:12
This is infomation from Sperko I hope this helps

Obtain ASME “Code” stamp application forms from ASME Code Accreditation Department, Three Park Avenue,
at www.asme.org.
Obtain “R” stamp application forms from
the National Board of Boiler and Pressure Vessel Inspectors
www.nationalboard.org.
If acquiring an “R” Stamp, obtain a copy of the National Board Inspection Code (NBIC) from National Board.
If repairs are going to be made on ASME Code-Stamped tanks, boilers or piping, or if acquiring ASME “Code”
Stamps, obtain the applicable Code books from ASME Publications
Contact an Authorized Inspection Agency and arrange a contract for their services.
YOU MUST HAVE A
CONTRACT IN FORCE BEFORE THE NATIONAL BOARD OR ASME WILL SCHEDULE THE SURVEY.
A list of Inspection Agencies is posted on both the National Board and ASME web sites. One only pays for the services
of the Inspection Agency as they are used, and their use is only required when manufacturing, erecting or
repairing ASME Code-stamped items and during the survey

Prepare a Quality Control Program following the requirements of the National Board Inspection Code and/or
ASME as applicable.
Assistance in developing the QC Program and training in its implementation can be obtained from Sperko Engineering Services, Inc.  sperko@asme.org.
¨ Prepare and qualify welding procedures and welders. Prepare NDE procedures and qualify personnel in
accordance with ASNT document SNT-TC-1A or make arrangements with an outside NDE laboratory.
¨ Subcontracted services are acceptable for most specialized activities (e.g.. design, drawings, NDE, heat
treating) but not for welding. The Stamp holder is responsible for ALL work done, including any
subcontractor work.
7. Have Authorized Inspection Agency review and concur with QC program. Prepare mock-up pipe/vessel or repair,
as appropriate for the Stamp desired, following the QC program. Leave one major seam tacked but unwelded or
as directed by the Authorized Inspector. Assistance with this is available from Sperko Engineering.
8. The Quality Control manual and its implementation will be audited by a Representative of the National Board of
Boiler and Pressure Vessel Inspectors or Chief Inspector of the Local Jurisdiction and your Authorized Inspection
Agency Supervisor and your Authorized Inspector.
¨ First day - Review of QC program, Implementing QC procedures, welding and NDE procedures.
¨ Second day - Shop inspection to verify implementation of program. Revisions to QC program.
When the audit is conducted by local jurisdiction, it may only take one day.
9. Audit team will advise towards the end of the second day in the exit interview whether your program passed or
failed. . You may begin work with the concurrence of the Authorized Inspector after a successful survey, but you
may not actually stamp anything until you receive the stamp from ASME or National Board
MDK
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 09-04-2009 02:16
Obtain copies of the applicable code sections to get an idea of the quality control systems required and so you can get a handle on issues of the costs involved to implement the necessary QC programs. You'll also find out how big a loan you'll need to purchase the required code sections, i.e., Section I, Section II parts A, B, C, and D, Section V, Section IX, and B31.1 or B31.3 (and skip buying Section I).

You will also need to have an insurance carrier that will provide an Authorized Inspector (AI) and insurance coverage. They will have to buy into your QC system.

When you have your QC and welding procedure specifications qualified, your welders qualified, and your insurance carrier in place you will sit with a representative from ASME who, like the insurance carrier, will review your system and check an example of your work. If all goes well and you ante up the required dollar amount, ASME will issue you the appropriate stamps. From that point onward your AI will control your life and your destiny.

Good luck.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By Mikeqc1 (****) Date 09-04-2009 02:20
Whats the code cost now 12,000 15,000?
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 09-04-2009 02:46
Everytime I look the prices have gone up.

Al
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 09-04-2009 12:11
Guy at the test lab I go to said something about, "money pit" his exact words. LoL!!
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 09-04-2009 12:29
My opinion is, the very first thing to do is contact an Authorized Inspection Agency. They will be glad to meet with you and give you a synopsis of what it will take, how much it will cost, the time, and a step by step game plan. IMO, without someone showing you the ropes you are going to waste a lot of time and money making mistakes that experience could have prevented.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 09-04-2009 12:33
That's a fair assessment whether working to ASME or AWS requirements. I typically allocate about $2000/year for the codes that I need in my practice. Being s Scotsman, I try to utilize my client's copies of various code sections whenever I can. I can think of many other things I would like to do with my hard earned cash than to spend it on codes.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By PipeIt (**) Date 09-04-2009 14:20
Thanks for the input everyone, it sounds expensive but; we will get into forward motion, until I hit a money road block.

Regards:

PI
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 09-04-2009 15:38
It is expensive. And should be. We don't want Bubba's "We Does Weldin Fer Les" building power houses.
Parent - By ibeweldingsum (***) Date 09-05-2009 04:17
LMFAO!!!!
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 09-05-2009 11:33
very well said js55!
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / ASME Certification