Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / World Skills Competition 2009
- - By Northweldor (***) Date 09-04-2009 22:16
Just got home from a few hours at the above, and skilled photographer that I am, forgot my camera at home! Here is the website, and although there aren't many pictures yet, you can get some idea.

http://www.skillscanada.com/index.php?option=com_docman&task=cat_view&gid=158&Itemid=153

The weldment for the general competition looked quite challenging, but the structural welding project looked a bit too easy.

The competition logistics are amazing, and this show can be nothing but good for all trades, since thousands of Calgary area youths and adults are getting a close look at what skilled tradesmen really do.
Parent - By Northweldor (***) Date 09-05-2009 11:19
Heres a picture of Canadian contestant Marc Belanger and his nearly complete weldment (the cubicle he is in, is one of over a hundred in this 500'x 150'tent).
Attachment: WorldSkills-MarcBelanger (0B)
Parent - - By spgtti (**) Date 09-05-2009 22:42
Joe Young, the American contestant, is in the top 5. Although he is from Michigan he trained at Pipefitters Local 72's new welder training center in Atlanta for the last several weeks for the competition.  We are proud to have him as a member of our local and look forward to the results of this event.

GO JOE
Parent - - By Northweldor (***) Date 09-06-2009 11:29 Edited 09-06-2009 11:52
Parent - - By noremac (*) Date 09-07-2009 09:19
how widely is the world skills competition known.? is it pretty big in northamerica.? its it highly regarded.?
Parent - - By Northweldor (***) Date 09-07-2009 12:09
This (Calgary) is the 40th Competition, and I believe it started nationally in Spain about 1946, and became international about 1953. It is now held every 2yrs.  at sites around the world. (Was in Atlanta in 80's or 90's, I think). I think most tradesmen in Canada know about it, because we have provincial competitions to pick the national and international reps. I don't know about US, but Miller is one of the main sponsors in welding this year, so I assume they publicize it. (You can find a history on the WSC site).

Final results are here;
http://www.worldskills.org/index.php?option=com_results&task=show&Itemid=633&comp=40CA09
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 09-07-2009 14:39
Congrats to Joe Young from the USA.. (and Wisconsin)  Finishing in second place in the world championships!

Congrats to BĂ©langer Marc-Olivier from Canada who finished seventh!

Those two lads are very good welders and also have learned to work under tremendous pressure!

Well Done.
Parent - By Northweldor (***) Date 09-07-2009 16:41
Couple of pics of Joe Young at work in competition. Photos of whole US team at

http://www.skillsusa.org/compete/worldteam09.shtml
Parent - By spgtti (**) Date 09-07-2009 14:07
It is the next level after the VICA skills competition we have in the US. It takes the top pick after regional and national competitions to compete for the world title in their skill. From what I saw of Joe Youngs work these kids are unbelievably good at their skill.
Parent - - By Metarinka (****) Date 09-07-2009 21:00
he also attended Washtenaw community College , which is where I recieved my A.A in welding and fabrication.  It's one of the top welding programs in the nation.  At the school there's a champions wall of all the vica and world skills welding students. The welds look more like robotic welds than anything man made.
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 09-07-2009 22:28
Hi Metarinka!

Got any pictures of the welds???

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By spgtti (**) Date 09-09-2009 00:56
I'll try to get some pics of Joe's work next time I go down to the training center, there's only about 2 pallets worth of it sitting.
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 09-09-2009 01:47
Excellent!!!

That's always good inspirational material for the students. ;) I look forward to it!!! :) :) :) Speaking of Spagetti... I just had some with a sweet Italian sausage  sauce for dinner!!! Well, let me clarify just a bit because the pasta was actually Percatelli instead but, man there's nothing like home cooked pasta with homecooked sauce which I've been slow cooking for over 24 hours!!!

Prego!!! Prego!!! It sure the hell isn't!!! :) :) :) CAPECHE??? ;) Thanks Spgtti! ;)

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - By Metarinka (****) Date 09-10-2009 06:47
yah I got 2 here of Shawn Power back from 04, took them the last time I was visiting WCC's welding lab. 
Attachment: goldmedal.jpg (353k)
Attachment: goldmedal2.jpg (347k)
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / World Skills Competition 2009