Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / welding 1095 steel
- - By rudy gheller Date 09-05-2009 03:00
I am looking for a successful procedure to plug weld 5/8 thick 1095 to 1/4 thick mild steel. The 1095 is primed and painted. The mild steel is embedded in concrete and rusty. The 1095 is 10' to 15' long with holes roughly 18" apart. After completing the welding the 1095 cracks.
                                                                                                                                                   Thanks,
                                                                                                                                                      RG
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 09-05-2009 03:53
Because of the .95% carbon in the 1095 You have to pre & post heat the 1095 and the welded joint as well as follow low hydrogen practices. In short there is no good way to do what You are trying to do.
Parent - By ibeweldingsum (***) Date 09-05-2009 04:03
Getting rid of the rust and paint would help too. Not to mention the difference in the expansion and contraction rates of the two different alloys will make it difficult. A clean joint is very important!!!!
Parent - - By cwi49cwe (*) Date 09-06-2009 23:28
I agree with all that has been said, I'll add a few considerations, like was mentioned ..... preheat is absolutely necessary,,,,, approx. 750 to 850F and MAINTAINED and a post weld heat of up to 900F (and maintained for about 15 to 20 minutes each repair) would be very beneficial, ALL the rust WILL have to be removed to good steel, is that possible ???  Is the preheat possible ???  The holes in the 1095 should be beveled out to about 60 degrees down to about a 1/16 or 3/32 land face (prior to preheating), this will definiately be a challanging repair , don't be under any time limitations, this is one job I wouldn't hesitate to pass on, are there any other alternatives ??????????????????  what are the strength requirements of the finished job, service conditions ???????????????
Parent - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 09-08-2009 13:08
An alternative would be this one:
1. Plot on the mild steel the position in which the 1095 steel holes would be after it is joined to the mild steel.
2. Weld a low carbon stud bolt of suitable diameter on each of those plottings. Calculate the bolt length: thickness of the 1095 steel + heigth of the nut + 2 or 3 bolt threads.
3. Install the 1095 steel so that every bolt protrudes over its (the 1095 steel) surface.
4. Put the nuts and tighten them
Will this method work?
Giovanni S. Crisi
Sao Paulo - Brazil
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / welding 1095 steel