Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / best method- sheet metal to stud
- - By cfryeson Date 04-08-2002 15:49
I would like to weld a 3/8" stud to 12 ga. 304 stainless steel sheet. What is the best method? I have looked at capacitor discharge stud welding, but my vendor tells me that they don't have very good luck. Is there a better weld, perhaps a simple fillet?

Thanks,
Carey
Parent - By Niekie3 (***) Date 04-08-2002 18:42
There are obviously a number of different ways. You could weld it on with a simple fillet weld, or drill a hole through the plate and weld it on from the back end etc.

The problem is however that none of these methods will give you nearly such a good (strong) result as with stud welding. To see an investigation into the failures of stud welds (not on S/Steel though) you can find the following paper on the PROKNOWNET website:

"Investigation into the failures of rail hold down studs"

Find this by going to: www.proknownet.com and then following the "PAPERS" link in the LHS frame. Click on "Search for papers" and enter STUD WELDS into the keyword 1 box and search.

12 ga does sound a little thin, (3.15 mm?) but I think you should be able to do this with the correct stud welding equipment.

Regards
Niekie
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / best method- sheet metal to stud