Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Sock-o-let/Weld-o-lets
- - By BryonLewis (****) Date 09-08-2009 15:10
Does anyone know of any specs from ASME on the welding of Sock-o-lets?  We do a lot of them and are using B31.3.  The powers that be want them welded out to the shoulder of the fitting but realisticly I think that it is way too much weld.  If they were on big pipe it wouldn't be a problem but mostly we put them on 3" and 4" stainless.  To run the weld out where they want it, the weld would be half way down the side of the pipe.

With these fittings being so prevailent, at least in this shop, I would assume that ASME would need to address them specifically somewhere.

Thanks, in advance.
Parent - By bigrod (**) Date 09-08-2009 15:31
I know in our shop and around here we weld out to the shoulder of the fitting.  We just cut the holes in the pipe big enough to where we make 3 passes and its up to the shoulder.  Most of what we put them on is just 1" and 2" blowdowns for 3" meter runs.
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 09-08-2009 16:02
Bryon,
There are some threads on this if you want to look. Its an old discussion and always pops up in association with SS, as you would expect. The only solution I know of is to contact the forging manufacturer and acquiare their specs for how much weld is needed for their fittings.
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 09-08-2009 17:13
As JS notes, each manufacturer has their own requirements for the weld necessary to complete the joint between the integrally reinforced branch fitting and the run pipe.

The integrally reinforced branch fitting is designed to replace the volume of metal removed from the run pipe by the hole for the branch fitting. One alternative to the IRBF is to reinforce the opening with rolled plate. The alternative is typically more time consuming and expensive than the use of the integrally reinforced branch fitting. Since each manufacturer has a different design and since each has been tested by the manufacturer to demonstrate it performs as intended, each has different welding requirements. The IRBF only functions properly if the weld is made in accordance with the manufacturer's requirements.

The designer should include the welding requirements on the drawing, but since few designers have a working knowledge of welding, they fail to deliver the goods in that respect. It is my opinion that the designer that specifies the use of a particular brand of IRBF should also be responsible for finding out what the welding requirements are. The contractor has a choice of including the welding requirements in the WPS or in the drawing package. Ultimately, someone has to take responsibility to provide the information the welder needs to weld the fitting properly. It is not the welder's responsibility to determine how much weld is necessary.

It is rare that I find the IRBF welded properly. I typically hear comments to the effect that the welder doesn't feel more weld is necessary because the system only carries XX pressure or that additional weld causes the run pipe to bow. Unfortunately, the welder is usually the least qualified individual to determine how much weld is necessary, but the designer is apparently a lazy sod or even less qualified than the welder based on the absence of the drawing information.

I have always advocated using the WPS to provide the direction needed by the welder. Whether it is required by the applicable code is immaterial. It is information needed by the welder. Since the contractor is often tasked with purchasing the pipe and fittings, it is appropriate for the contractor's designer (assuming someone in the contractor's employ fills that function) to provide the information to the welder. 

Best regards - Al

Parent - - By swsweld (****) Date 09-08-2009 18:16 Edited 09-11-2009 00:08
http://www.bonneyforge.com/OletCat.PDF
Bryon, This was a link that had great info on socket welding that I remember from a previous thread. It was posted by MBSims.
Unfortunately, the link isn't working at the moment. Perhaps somebody saved it or knows another way to access this.

I don't have my book with me but isn't the minimum requirement =1.09t or the thickness of the socket wall, whichever is smaller?
Parent - - By swsweld (****) Date 09-08-2009 19:18
Way to go Henry.
I knew if the info could be found, you could do it.
The official "Infomation Czar"  :)
Parent - - By RioCampo (***) Date 09-08-2009 22:08
Nomination seconded!
Parent - - By rick harnish (***) Date 09-09-2009 03:00
And confirmed. We now have an " Information Czar!!"
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 09-09-2009 03:49
First class resources regardless of the diamond ratings!

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 09-09-2009 06:41
THANK YOU GENTLEMEN!!! :) :) :)

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 09-09-2009 19:06
Following Henry's leads, I contacted Bonney and received the following pdf file.

It is very similar to the information I posted once before from WFI with regards to the welding requirements.

What I would like to note is that the welding requirements are not dependent on the "pressure" of the system. The welding requirements are the same for any operating pressure and is dependent on the fitting being installed.

Best regards - Al
Parent - By emljr (*) Date 09-11-2009 19:40
I wonder Bryon is this perhaps the kind of weld-o-let weld you might be referring to?
Attachment: weld-o-lets001.jpg (595k)
Attachment: weld-o-lets002.jpg (589k)
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Sock-o-let/Weld-o-lets