Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / MIL-spec standards for corrosion resistance
- - By Dualie (***) Date 09-09-2009 01:52
Just got into a spirited debate with a supplier that sent me zink plated hardware when the spec's i gave him were for galvanized hardware.  back in the early days of the Internet i had a link saved that had military specifications for corrosion resistance.  Specifically the difference between galvanizing, Electro galvanizing, and zinc plating, it also covered some paint and tnemec coatings as well as cold galvinizeing compounds.

Any help locating these specs and their related doccuments would be appriciated.
Parent - By MMyers (**) Date 09-12-2009 04:13
I don't know if this will be much help but Assist Docs.com has an archive of MIL-STDs that allow you to search by different criteria like name or number. http://assistdocs.com/search/search_basic.cfm
Parent - - By OBEWAN (***) Date 09-12-2009 06:23 Edited 09-12-2009 12:12
If you are willing to buy them, the IHS website may be able to find them.  It has a good keyword search.  Even if you don't plan to buy it, you might be able to find the spec number and then Google for a free downnload.  I don't know if you need an account to search though.  If you Google for MIL-specs, you should be able to find the government database too.  There is one I found a couple of years ago that was the gov't site that could find ANY spec in the whole gov't - EPA, OSHA, the whole works.  The thing is I only use IHS.  IHS will also find AMS and ASTM and other industry standards by searching on the keword corrosion.

Update:
I went and looked at the IHS website.  You can search without an account.  It did not find MIL-Specs with a keyword search on corrosion.  My corporate account will search specifically for MIL specs.

The general search tab did find what seems to be a good source though if you are willing to ante up $196. 
http://store.ihs.com/specsstore/controller?event=SEARCH_RESULTS

If you can wait until Monday, I can post up the search from my IHS account if you have not already found a MIL-Spec.
Parent - - By Dualie (***) Date 09-17-2009 05:30
THANK YOU. I found some info on the assistdoc's site.   I just haven't had the free time to sit down and sort through the several hundred page documents yet.

He's being rather stead fast in his assertion that Zinc plating is the same thing as Galvanizing.
Parent - - By Ke1thk (**) Date 09-17-2009 13:53 Edited 09-28-2009 16:19
I don't know much, but I do know that if you dip steel into zinc it becomes "galvanized."  I saw it on the show Connections by James Burke. 

I think the word galvanized is similar to Kleenex, Kool Aide, or Band Aide.  It's the first word associated with the item, a process in this case.

Also, I've had steel parts zinc coated after welding and they come back either silver or gold in color.  Both colors are correct.  The ASTM spec covering this is ASTM 633.

If your source is so sure of his information ask him to prove it with a source/reference.

Good Luck,

Keith
Parent - - By Dualie (***) Date 09-24-2009 07:16
well galvanizing dips the part in molten zinc where sink plating just deposits a thin layer of zinc on the part to add corrosion resistance.   I m just having trouble sorting through all those specifics to find what im after.
Parent - By Ke1thk (**) Date 09-28-2009 16:27
I would ask my metal finisher for their expert opinion as to what I need.  Put what you want/need into the contract.  Write it exactly as required.  Also, I’d contract your customer's quality department for specific requirements. 

I recently had an audit and my customer suggested that we obtain certification to a particular Mil-Std for painting their parts.  I agree with you that those specs are a whole other area of expertise.

Good Luck,

Keith
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / MIL-spec standards for corrosion resistance