Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / ANY LUCK
- - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 09-09-2009 18:26
Anybody having any luck finding work i sure cant seem to find any
Parent - - By allen white 2 (**) Date 09-10-2009 00:48
i am working on some stuff in new mexico, but i havent heard anything for sure yet.  The work consist of erecting red-iron steel frames like a shop building then plumbing in pipe for irrigation through out the building. When they are completed they will be used as greenhouses. What do the rest of you guys think is fair pay for your arm and your truck on this kind of project. 
Parent - - By shorthood2006 (****) Date 09-10-2009 01:47
30-35 on the arm. It depend on how cheap you are willing to work.

I have 2 buddies pipelining right now and it pays as follows

30-35 on the arm
15. for the truck
80 per day for per diem

the other guy gets the same wages with no per diem but he is getting 10 per hour for fuel which is 100 bucks per day.
both pipeline companies are supplying welding supplies.
Parent - - By pipehead (***) Date 09-10-2009 01:49
thats pretty cheap!
Parent - - By shorthood2006 (****) Date 09-10-2009 01:54 Edited 09-10-2009 01:56
right now 12000 per month is nothing to sneeze at ...there are more welders sitting at home than working.Out of curiosity, what are you making.

Im building pipe and cable fence right now(as there is nothing else in oklahoma) and making 500 per day and buy my own fuel and supplies. it keeps the bankers at bay!

A year ago we were charging 70 bucks an hour and getting 15 hour days chasing drilling rigs. There are alot of rigs stacked out right now in oklahoma.  I have only welded one well head on since last November.
Parent - - By pipehead (***) Date 09-10-2009 02:02
It's not bad just seemed a little low......guys up here have been getting 40-15-120 plus fuel and supplies..

I have been working just close to home for 65-70hr on some misc gas pipeing and stainless in a treatment plant.... I have some of that same wonderful fence going too!

out of curiosity what do you get per foot to build it down there?
Parent - - By allen white 2 (**) Date 09-10-2009 03:18
thanks Darin,
       I as hoping youd respond since i know you were putting up some buildings earlier this year. Thats a little lower by the hour then what i proposed to them but i keep in mind that its not the oil field so i really expect them to come back lower but if i cant do all of it by my self so there will be more then just me so i want to make sure its fair for all
Parent - - By shorthood2006 (****) Date 09-10-2009 11:37 Edited 09-10-2009 11:40
we built a 75 x100 and a 40x100 shop this spring and charged $5.00 per square foot to frame and tin the buildings. this is labor only. this didnt include the floor(cement.) We worked 10 hour days and it paid really well. Thank goodness i had a skytrak to work the roof and sidewalls.

I charge 5.00 bucks per lin. foot(labor) to build the pipe and cable fence. Material is another five bucks on the cable fence. It will calculate to around 50-55 per hour .  Farmers around here dont want to pay by the hour. They want to know what it will cost when its done...Im one of the only welders in my area bidding by the square ft on buildings and by the ft on building fence.
I like bidding this way as I know what im making too.

Often, we will pull in on a job that has over a mile of fence. There are alot of cattle handling facilities in oklahoma.
Parent - - By low_hydrogen (**) Date 09-10-2009 23:59
Fish.....I Bid fence by the foot but only if i'm in control of the materials...I'm not going to work by the foot on crappy pipe thats magnatized loaded with cement and perifin....and 5 a square foot must have been a bolt togather building? pre-made rafters or clear span something along those lines... most buildings in nw oklahoma run over 15 a square for materials an labor (not concrete)   It's 65 an hour min for me or they can get some highschool kid to come do it I'm not gonna work cheap just cause work is slow......Was your shop insulated pre-fab? or was it one you fabricated from scratch?
Parent - - By shorthood2006 (****) Date 09-11-2009 00:07
the rafters were already built. we set the post on 10ft centers and welded the perlin on 3ft centers. We hung 26gu tin on the building after framing.

I talked to Town and Country in alva, they told me that most of their buldings were 5bucks s/f on mat. and 5 bucks s/f on labor and 5 bucks on concrete.

Where do you live?
Parent - - By low_hydrogen (**) Date 09-11-2009 01:37
last i saw town and country was mowing yards lol!  garage doors is there main bussiness i couldn't tell you the last building they put up it's been so long ago..  15 a square was about 8 years ago and they don't put up quality buildings for that price such as varco pruden, whirlwind, etc.  You could probably put a ji building up materials and all for that price but they are just what you pay for cheap!!  Not knocking your building just seems like thats awful cheap I don't know if i could do it for that with work comp, liability insurance overhead etc.?   I live up around alva
Parent - - By shorthood2006 (****) Date 09-11-2009 22:44
i grew up at kiowa
Parent - - By low_hydrogen (**) Date 09-12-2009 00:50
Yep I know who you are fish ;)
Parent - - By shorthood2006 (****) Date 09-12-2009 01:08
well who are you?
Parent - - By low_hydrogen (**) Date 09-12-2009 01:18
well that wouldn't be any fun if I told you fish! I still tell stories about your dog dick!! lol
Parent - By shorthood2006 (****) Date 09-12-2009 01:20
i just run over my last  heeler on wednesday. killed him dead. give me a few more hints on who you are.
Parent - By shorthood2006 (****) Date 09-11-2009 22:44
town and country just put a 65 x 125 north of kiowa .
Parent - - By pipehead (***) Date 09-11-2009 00:47
well thats what i get is 5-6 a foot for fence.... just thought see....thanks
Parent - - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 09-15-2009 02:31
i get 7.50 to 8 a ft on fence but theres nothing here doing anything
Parent - By ibeweldingsum (***) Date 09-15-2009 03:00
Well i finally got a job 4 my rig in colorado. It's only for 6 weeks but maybe it will lead to something more later. It's nice to have buddies who know the right people. Ranger Construction up around rifle is doing an expansion on a compressor station and they needed a stainless tig welder that can do downhand too. Just goes to show ya that a man needs to learn every kind of welding process he can cause you never know when it will pay off. That is if i pass the durn test LOL!!
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / ANY LUCK