Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / api 1104 8.3
- - By DAYANARA (**) Date 09-09-2009 19:28
Dear All

Please help me.
API 1104, 8.3 Methods of inspection said "Trepanning methods of testing shall not be used".
What is metting of Trepanning. Is NDE method?

Thank you for yuo aswer.

Dayanara
Parent - By CWI555 (*****) Date 09-09-2009 20:00 Edited 09-09-2009 20:06
8.2 in 05 edition covers destructive testing as well. What they are refering to by Trepanning is a destructive test.
Trepanning is usually some form of boring. 8.2 "Destructive testing shall consist of the removal of completed welds, sectioning of the welds into specimens, and the examination of the specimens"
http://www.trepanningspec.com/index.html
By the prohibition of trepanning, they are clarifying their intent that the whole weld be cut out rather than a strap, or punch for testing.
It's been prohibited for a long time, but as I recall someone telling me many moons ago, people used to cut the strap, then weld up the hole rather than cut out the whole weld.

Regards,
Gerald
Parent - By Arctic 510 (**) Date 09-09-2009 20:00
I think (and I am quite possibly wrong) that this method involves cutting out a coupon for inspection.  Trepanning also refers to boring a hole in a person's skull, an old medical practice.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong!
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 09-10-2009 04:11
Trepanning is a lathe operation where a groove is bored in the face of a part, leaving a shaft in the center. The apearance would be like if You plunged a hole saw with no pilot drill into the end of a shaft, cutting a groove smaller than the outside diameter of the shaft, but not all the way to the center. This can be used to produce large diameter hollow bar stock.
Parent - - By Milton Gravitt (***) Date 09-10-2009 12:56
I thought it was using a hole saw to remove a section of weld out of a pipe so you can check for penetration. But it is hardly ever used anymore according to API 1104.
                          M.G.
Parent - By Arctic 510 (**) Date 09-10-2009 16:45
That's what I thought.  Thanks!
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 09-11-2009 01:42
With regard to weld testing, You are probably correct.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / api 1104 8.3