Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Help with A 53 seamless
- - By whiteyford M1A1 (**) Date 09-11-2009 13:01
Hello
I've been asked to offer up a repair procedure for replacing a 4' section of 20" schedule 40 on a direct fired natural gas burner inside of a 1 million gallon asphalt tank. Burner rating is 2.5 million btu and checked annually for proper set up.
Tube length is 30' with the first 8' a fire brick lined combustion chamber. The problem is at the transition from lined to unlined. The first 2' of unlined area has buckled on top of the tube and fractured letting product into the extended combustion chamber. The tube looks a bit like a turned up banana. 1.5"/30'  Note product temps are held under 400 degrees. The kicker is this is the second time its happened, each tube in service for four years to the week?

The manufacturer ate the tube cost first time, my client paid the labor. On the initial claim the manufacturer responded that this material will not "melt" under normal use. They're adamant opinion was the tank product level was drawn down below the burner tube allowing it to overheat, warp, buckle and fracture. My client insisted it did not happen and reconfigured the tank outlet to maintain 2' of product over the burner tube. Then it just happened again. The outside has a coke like lamination that chips off easily to reveal a like new tube. No pits.

Is this a proper application for the A 53?
The area did not actually "melt" it was just hot enouph to allow the deformation. At what temp might this happen? Could this happen while immersed in asphalt?
Any thoughts will be greatly appreciated.
Randy
Attachment: Russel20tube021.JPG (0B)
Attachment: Russel20tube013.JPG (0B)
Attachment: Russel20tube016.JPG (0B)
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 09-14-2009 06:18
My guess is that the "coked" asphalt insulated the tube from the tank contents, and left the tube overheat and deform.
Parent - - By whiteyford M1A1 (**) Date 09-14-2009 14:11
Hi Dave
Thank you so much for the reply!
I had time to gather more info.
The coke like scale is 1/16 to 3/32 thick??
The 20" tube is Schedule 20 (.375 wall thickness) not Sch 40.
The affected area (about 3') has a remainining thickness of .200 on the sides The top it tapers to .000 at the failed spot then back to .375"- 2' downstream.
Since the area is deformed it's difficult to determine inside or outside section loss.
At least some loss appears to be from the inside. I polished up some coupons and the insides appeared to have a very subtle wavy sand dune like pattern from erosion.
This is a real puzzler since the suppiler has other units that have been working for 20 years trouble free?
Any more thoughts would be greatly appreciated
Thank you
Randy

Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 09-15-2009 00:57 Edited 09-15-2009 00:59
I will tell You right off that I have no experience with any burners/heaters this large. These are areas I would check:

Is there anything wrong with the burner itself that would cause a concentration of heat/flame on the eroded area?
Is the tube suposed to have direct flame impingement?
Is the coke or scale only in the eroded area, or is the entire top of the tube coated with it?
Is there anything in the tank that would restrict the flow around the tube in the problem area?

The answers to these may lead You to the cause of the problem.
Parent - By 464238 (**) Date 09-15-2009 08:08
Is changing material to 1 1/4 Cr. pipe an option for your repair procedure?
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Help with A 53 seamless