Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / aisc cert for a misc metals shop
- - By jimmykx250 Date 09-11-2009 15:42
Recently I have looked into becoming an aisc certified fab shop. We are a small shop and primarly fab stairs and rails. It seems like this cert is more for the structural fab shops. I dont have the square footage in my shop to compete with the structural guys out there. We are small and I like it that way(10 guys). Would this be cost effective and what benifits come to the fabricator by bieng certified (other than bieng able to bid jobs that require aisc cert)? The cost impact is rather substantial and from what ive seen no small task either.
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 09-11-2009 16:41
What is the percentage of RFQ's that you get that require AISC certification for stairs and rails?
You have to weigh the costs of the system against the income realized from those specific contracts.
I'm guessin the percentage is extremely small if there is any at all.
Also, there may be some marketing possibilities here but I'm thinkin the costs won't justify it.
Parent - - By waccobird (****) Date 09-11-2009 17:11
Read through the sample Quality Manual and Procedures and then when they are written and followed you are about half way through the process, you still will have welding, bolting, coatings, and equipment to document and maintain. Good Luck However you go.
The first year we Certified Simple Bridges (6 years ago) I didn't even know what AISC was and I had been building towers and oilfield equipment for over 30 years. I read their info and my boss sent in the application and they came out and spent a couple of days walking around the shop and office asking all kinds of questions, the main thing to remember is if you do it write it and if you don't don't think you can convince them you do. Here is the site of QMC who go around doing the audits for AISC, http://www.qmconline.com/resources/sample-quality-manuals
Hope this Helps More than it Hurts.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 09-11-2009 18:14
AWS Certification for misc. fabrication may be more appropriate.

Al
Parent - By eekpod (****) Date 09-14-2009 11:44
The AISC certification does not cover Misc Iron such as stairs and railings.  In fact the title of the program is "AISC Certification Program for Structural STeel Fabricators". misc iron is not covered under this program.
Also in the Scope section of the standard it says;"The standard describes requirements for certification of facilities that fabricate and supply the strucural steel frames for buildings".  Again this does not cover misc iron.
Hope this helps.  Chris
Parent - By ziggy (**) Date 09-16-2009 23:54
Many smaller misc shops bid to structural shops and then work as subs for the structural shops that have been awarded both packages, structural and misc. In many cases, the misc shop is not certified for a number of reasons. Here a just a couple:

The AISC certification specifies certain controls on subcontract work for an AISC certified structural shop. For instance, if the job requires AISC certification and the AISC structural fabricator elects to sub some structural work then the fabricator will either do so to another AISC shop or if the other shop is not AISC certified, the fabricator will seek the engineer of record's permission to use the non-AISC certified shop. Although there can be variations to this (such as an assignment of work clause in a contract), it primarily applies to structural work, not misc.

A misc shop needs to weigh very carefully the pros and cons to certification. There is a cost involved and the return on the investment (ROI) is not necessarily seen for several years; and that only happens if the certification is applied properly. It is a management decision to go for certification. Sometimes it is market driven decision (a customer is asking the shop to get certified). On the other hand, the company's goal is to continually improve itself. The latter reason is where the company sees the ROI. That's because a market driven decision can change...as the market changes. But continual improvement is a constant in any company that is looking to be profitable and be around for awhile.

Some view certification as "icing on the cake." Icing makes a cake look nice and adds to the flavor of the cake, but what good is the icing if the cake tastes terrible? The same is true of certification and product. Having a certification hanging on the wall and a quality manual, procedures and forms are an accomplishment, but if the company continually puts out product that does not satisfy the customer, what good is the certification? Certification does not always equal good product. And in the fab business if a shop regularly puts out poor product, people will use your number but why would they give you the work?

These comments are not meant to discourage anyone from seeking certification. It may be just the ticket for your shop. Best wishes for whatever you decide to do!

ziggy
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / aisc cert for a misc metals shop