Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Any experience with 409 Stainless?
- - By OBEWAN (***) Date 09-12-2009 13:20 Edited 09-12-2009 14:34
I am interested in hearing opinions on AK Steel 409 stainless.

Their publication claims few worries about sensitization or 885 embrittlement.

Given a choice between 410, 430, and 409 I am curious if it might be the silver bullet.

I have my back against the wall because I am forced into a 400 series weld that can not be post weld heat treated.

The bad thing too is it is a manual weld on a thin wall tube without cooling or heat sink fixturing.

I am also having trouble finding a domestic supplier since this part must begin its life as bar stock before it becomes a tube with a threaded hex nut.  It looks like AK steel only makes it in tube form.  The other issue is rust.  It forms a protective layer that has poor appearance but it won't corrode supposedly.
Parent - - By jarcher (**) Date 09-12-2009 17:07
FWIW, we just did a 410 to 316L with 316L filler on 1/2" material with no PWHT, 300F preheat and had no embrittlement problems. It is key that the 410 be in the annealed condition, ~ 65Ksi UTS. I didn't have the time or money to try other HT conditions, and I really doubt very much whether we would have successful with hardened or quenced and tempered conditions.
Parent - - By OBEWAN (***) Date 09-12-2009 17:29
We weld a lot of 410 too with no heat treat. The issue is this is a 430ti to 430 weld currently.  I want to kill any possiblity of a problem since we have cracks in the field.  I am even willing to consider using a stabilized austenitic filler, but the joint is not designed for filler.  410 might give us better results, but also could bring the same problems.  A lot of variability seems to exist between suppliers too.  I am afraid it could become quite a science fair project if we have to generate a custom material spec of our own.  There is some possibility of finding a smoking gun tramp element, but there may be more practical and easier fixes to implement like using 410.  The effort to switch and requalify is a bit of work too.
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 09-12-2009 21:28
Consumable insert?
Parent - By OBEWAN (***) Date 09-12-2009 23:02
That is a pretty good idea, but I don't know if it would be any better than a fillet weld.  The current joint is an edge flange weld made by a connector nut that pilots over a tube.  The resultant weld resembles a fillet weld.  That is what I hate about it. The weld symbol calls a butt for a flange that ends up a fillet.  It is a constant source of confusion and debates for design reviews and shop inspections.  If we could add filler and make it a fillet weld I would be happier, but not all others.  The concern would be getting pen on the edge flange, but is pen really an issue on a fillet if the edges are fused?  I have only seen fillet weld specs for root pen in the vertex - ie a throat dimension.  The problem is the weld is a stack and not a T though.
Parent - By OBEWAN (***) Date 09-13-2009 17:15
That gives me the idea of welding a 430Ti to a 321.  321 is available in bar and could be made into our connector nut.
Parent - - By OBEWAN (***) Date 09-14-2009 14:29
There are still more claims on 409 made by ATI Allegheny Ludlum.  They claim straight 409 still may have problems with sensitization and/or 885 embrittlement and they make a 409 HP that is not supposed to have these problems.  The only problem is they do not make it in bar stock form.  I suppose this is now one of these can't get there from here problems unless anyone else knows of other suppliers.  I am headed towards a 321 now perhaps.
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 09-15-2009 02:36
I have no idea what they are like any more, but Carpenter Technology [CarTech] used to be a good company to work with, and they did a lot with stainless & other specialty steels. Everybody I knew who worked there has retired.
Parent - By Ke1thk (**) Date 10-01-2009 13:43
I recently have 409 experiences.  One job is a 3" x .065 tube (409) to a 308 flange.  I used Arcos 409 filler wire (GMAW-Robotic).  I also had .065 to .065 joints. 

I had great fear because of tight holes on the flange and burn-through because we're not purging.  The welds look great.  The burn-through is like a bead...it's perfect. 

Also, another new part was a 409 tube to a carbon steel flange.  It didn't look as good as the above, but it wasn't bad. 

I was surprised at the burn through.  There's on sugaring.  It's nice and smooth.

Good Luck,

Keith
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Any experience with 409 Stainless?