Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Lifting a dually
- - By Keplinger78 (**) Date 09-13-2009 02:12
What tire are you guys running to get 33-35 under these trucks? I have an 05 Ford that has 17x6.5 wheels.The only tires that I have found are 34x10.50 Super Swamper LTB (8ply bias) and Swamper SSR Radials 35x15.50 but they are 10 ply radial but very high priced.Do you guys run blocks on the rear? I found a Rough Country 3" lift but it says not to use on dually....????

Any Ideas???
Parent - By KFab (**) Date 09-13-2009 05:41
Lift it the same way you would a reg truck.  I have a 2 leveling kit on the front.  2 inch leaf and 3 inch body on the work bed iam running 285x70x17 and thats like 33 inch.. looks good i shoulda done a 6 inch lift.. i have a 2wd so i would be 1 inch above a stock 4x4.  i did have to spend 330 for an alignment they had to add some adjustable tie rod joints on the front. also if ur going to add a welding bed i would invest in some timbren bump stops.
Parent - - By bigrod (**) Date 09-13-2009 15:19
i put a 2" leveling kit on mine as well but i put 4" airbags on the rear of my 4x4 dodge.  just gonna have to get some wheel spacers to run the bigger tires.
Parent - - By rick harnish (***) Date 09-13-2009 21:20
KFab, where are the pics of the finished product??
Parent - - By KFab (**) Date 09-15-2009 00:21
http://www.aws.org/cgi-bin/mwf/topic_show.pl?tid=22083;pg=3

its under more truck pics that long thread with over 128 reply.  as for spacers mine are milled from solid aircraft aluminum pretty nice.  got them from uswheeladaptor.com
Parent - By rick harnish (***) Date 09-15-2009 02:36
KFab, says it doesnt exist. Send one to my cell!
Parent - - By Keplinger78 (**) Date 09-14-2009 01:03
I'm not wanting to run any spacers on the back.Truck is almost 13,000lbs don't like the thought of the cast alum made in china stuff that I've seen being all thats holding the back wheels on...LOL That's why I'm looking for 10.50 or less so I don't have to run spacers.I have a set of Air bags on the truck now.(Airlift 5000 with comp)
Here's a link to the lift I've been looking at but look what it says at the rear install...Not to use on Dually???
http://www.ntwonline.com/images/Install_Instructions/HEC486S.pdf
Parent - - By Johnyutah (**) Date 09-14-2009 12:52
Just a question but why do you want to lift your rig? If you work off the back why have it any higher plus you said it weighs 13k I would want that weight as close to the ground as possible. Also what about the warranty it sucks to pay for repairs out of your own pocket just to play mines bigger than yours.
Parent - - By Keplinger78 (**) Date 09-14-2009 22:51
Here in WV getting in to the rigs sometime is rough. I have had to be pulled in about 2 miles...The 2500 HD I had was lifted 3" with 33's.It's been mud up to the nerf bars at the rig!!!!
Parent - - By Brian T. Beard (**) Date 09-15-2009 02:55
I guess in utah they don't have mud that is why the question was asked. Some people work "a little ways of the paved road"!!!!  HERE'S YOUR SIGN!!!
Parent - - By Johnyutah (**) Date 09-15-2009 03:51
Brian I have been on a welding rig for a long time and have been a lot of bad places so you can keep your smart comments to yourself. There are a lot of guys that think big meats make a big difference I run a 295/75/17 and it measures only 1/2" to 3/4" difference to the ground than a 35" tire, and the diff is what gets you stuck. And besides I am not here to pick a fight with a guy who is so much the wiser than me however if your ever passing through bring me a sign I have four helpless little paved road loving rigs you can put them on. Oh I almost forgot !!!!! OH AND I SHOULD YELL SORRY
Parent - - By Keplinger78 (**) Date 09-16-2009 02:48
How tall are the 295/75-17? How wide are they? Are you running spacers?
Parent - By Johnyutah (**) Date 09-18-2009 03:46
Sorry it's a 295/70/17 you would have to ask Ford or your tire dealer I don't like to run dual wheels for the same reason you want a lift. I try and keep my rig as light as possible and stick with the single wheel. I however on my last Ford dually ran a tire made by Cooper called a Dean mud terrain that I was very impressed with and it was only a 255. I would rather put the chains on and take my time than lift a truck and hammer down to get to the work it just seems to cause problems. And Brian were good I just don't like a guy to jump me when he has never met me. Keplinger the tire I run is made by Toyo maybe there is some info online but I still vote go as tall as you can without a lift and call it good.
Parent - By Brian T. Beard (**) Date 09-18-2009 02:26
I guess I am the one that need's to say "Sorry" I just took your post the wrong way. I never try to take anything away from anyone on this site, as most people on here have "paid there dues" and should be respected for that. Have a great day and again I appoligize.
Parent - By weldwade (***) Date 09-15-2009 05:21
Try these guys    http://www.ricksontruck.com/        I had a 98 3500HD with the 19.5's and I had just under 125 thousand miles  on a set of Bridgestone off road tires and the rig weighed just under 20 thousand full of fuel. They were 16 ply and really just a little more than what you will pay for a 17 or 18" tire. I called rickson and asked about custom offset in the wheels and they said no problem. I am going to put a set of their wheels on my new truck as soon as I wear out the tires I have on it now. I have talked to a guy here in Tucson that put a set on his F350 and he says they are the best tire wheel combo that he has ever owned, NO vibration at all. This guy has 70 thousand on them so far and tread looks about 1/2 gone. I think they look good and you cant beat the mileage you will get. My .02
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Lifting a dually