Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Combination of welding process
- - By eduardocwi Date 09-14-2009 13:56
Dear All
When using a combination of welding process (e.g. GTAW+SMAW) during WPS qualification, may these process be used separately during production? Where can I find this topic on the D1.1 code? Are the range of thicknesses mentiontioned in case we can use the processes separately?
Thanks
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 09-15-2009 15:00
I believe you can, but D1.1 doesn't make it easy for you because most fabrication uses one process for the entire joint.

I would weld the root with GTAW and record the thickness of the deposited weld metal and use it as the basis of determining the maximum thickness that can be welded with GTAW. Then the  SMAW deposit thickness would be determined and that would serve as the basis of determining what the maximum base metal thickness that can be welded with that process. The SMAW would be considered to be welded with backing, whereas the GTAW would be without backing (assuming you are not using any backing while qualifying the procedure.

An alternate means of qualifying the procedure is to do each process separately and then combine the two, GTAW and SMAW, into a single WPS. I prefer the later method.

The rational I cited above is based on ASME Section IX, but it should be valid for AWS D1.1 in the absence of more difinative direction from D1.1.

Ultimately, your customer or the Engineer will accept or reject the PQR and WPS. They have the final say on most projects.

Best regards - Al 6

Parent - - By 3.2 Inspector (***) Date 09-15-2009 17:11
Are you the 6th clone of Al?

Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 09-16-2009 02:14
No, it’s just my big clumsy fingers.

Best regards - Al
Parent - By eduardocwi Date 09-16-2009 12:42
Thank you.
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 09-16-2009 17:06
You won't find an explicit approval of this method. Neither will you find a prohibition. It is an acceptable method as long as the essential variables are complied with.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Combination of welding process